fuel pump block off

jimraelee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
While I was installing a much needed trans cooler the other weekend, I noticed the fuel lift pump is leaking... so its finally time to install the electric pump I got a while back... What do most of you do about the old pump?? Do you remove it and install a block off plate, or just remove the plumbing and leave it in place. Its leaking fule not oil.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Most remove the mechanical lift pump and install a big block chevy blockofDon't try to pump thru the mechanical lift pump. If and when the diaphram breaks the oil pan will fill with diesel.:eek: That there will ruin the motor in short order...

seawalkersee

It needs a turbo...
Reaction score
I used the small block ford block off plate. The jury is still out on the 'lectric pumps. I have seen people say how much they are great. I HATE mine. It is noisy and an all around piece of crap that oes not pump that well when it gets cold...if at all. I am going to get some better stuff together for it this year so I can swap to an intank pump.

SWS

jimraelee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Most remove the mechanical lift pump and install a big block chevy blockoff Don't try to pump thru the mechanical lift pump. If and when the diaphram breaks the oil pan will fill with diesel.:eek: That there will ruin the motor in short order...
Wow... are there some who try that??? I dont think thats practical or smart. as you said, when the diaphragm blows fuel in the oil... not good.

I used the small block ford block off plate. The jury is still out on the 'lectric pumps. I have seen people say how much they are great. I HATE mine. It is noisy and an all around piece of crap that oes not pump that well when it gets cold...

sounds like yo uhave a crappy pump... Ive used elec for years as you said some are loud and some nice and quiet... alot depends on the mounting, in my experience

vegas39

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow... are there some who try that??? I dont think thats practical or smart. as you said, when the diaphragm blows fuel in the oil... not good.

sounds like yo uhave a crappy pump... Ive used elec for years as you said some are loud and some nice and quiet... alot depends on the mounting, in my experience

The directions that came with my Holley red, gave the option to pump through the original mechanical pump. I think it's a bad idea also.

I bought a big block chevy block off plate for my old pump at Checkers.

THECACKLER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My only thought as to why block it off is that perhaps the fuel flow cools the diaphragm and without that flow, the diaphragm may deteriorate from heat and cause an oil leak. Otherwise I'd love to leave it in place for a back-up. I'm sure someone will enlighten me.
As far as the noise of the Electric pumps, they need to be mounted on an isolation bracket. I'm working on an inexpensive (I hope) option now.

vegas39

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My only thought as to why block it off is that perhaps the fuel flow cools the diaphragm and without that flow, the diaphragm may deteriorate from heat and cause an oil leak. Otherwise I'd love to leave it in place for a back-up. I'm sure someone will enlighten me.
As far as the noise of the Electric pumps, they need to be mounted on an isolation bracket. I'm working on an inexpensive (I hope) option now.

I'm sure the diaphragm would eventually get ruined by running dry.

It's easy enough to remove a block off plate down the road and add a new mechanical pump if you wish.

jimraelee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wouldnt want to leave parts on the engine that arent used. Opens questions later down the road...