Fuel Level Gauge

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
Ok, this is getting aggravating! I put a set of white gauge decals on all my gauges. I removed the needles, carefully, painted them and reinstalled them. All gauges work fine except my fuel guage...and it didn't stop working right after the decals, but shortly after, so I assumed I assed it up when I changed the needle (you do have to tap them back on). That being said...my current fuel level gauge goes to just below 1/2 tank and stays there. Changing tanks doesn't change it, nor does adding fuel or driving it (it doesn't raise or lower, just stays steady). So, a member on here had a gauge set, so we worked out a deal, I got the gauges and all looked well in the cluster modules. I remove my fuel/op gauge cluster and install his. Turn the key on and the new to me gauge pegs way past full! Just the same as the other, the gauge doesn't change with a tank switch, so I assume it won't with filling or depleting fuel. I know both tanks are not at the same level nor full. Anyone have any ideas? Truck is a 1987 F250 cab. Fuel gauge always worked prior to the white decals, and worked after that for a while. I don't drive the truck everyday, hell, probably don't drive it every week or month. So keeping a mileage log and such does no good. I don't drive long distances with it, just around home hauling stuff and sometimes I'm pulling several thousand pounds and it would be difficult to know mileage anyway...so point is, I want a working fuel level gauge. I'm about to rip the whole gauge cluster out and put aftermarket stuff in! https://www.dropbox.com/s/uzl5k2hf3hkg4hx/2013-05-09 06.26.38.jpg https://www.dropbox.com/s/0jt1faja1n9hm8j/2013-05-09 06.29.09.jpg

Last edited:

91idi

Fiberglass *****
Reaction score
Check the fuse and wiring

TronDD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I *believe* "way past full" is an open circuit. Something didn't get connected.

I have one tank where the gauge is fine and on the other it's stuck at "way past full" that I need to dig into.

Tim.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mr Tony