Fuel leak, not the return lines

stick_witch

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My truck had the same problem when i first got it, diesel was pooling up in the valley pan and at temp the truck would billow diesel steam from the hood, could see/smell it from a mile away lol. In my case it was my IP and i ended up having to have it rebuilt.

Pooling in the valley pan is typically a major symptom of an IP that is going out. So, there’s a good chance your IP is going out. The IP’s only last about 130,00-200,000 miles typically before they need to be rebuilt or replaced. So, I’d be prepared to spend a good chunk of cash. A replacement/rebuild will set you back anywhere between $600-$1200 for the pump alone, not including labor if you decide to have someone replace it for you, which isn’t necessary, totally DIYable, plenty of threads here to walk you through it.

Make sure it is in fact leaking from the injection pump weep hole on the bottom of the pump and isn’t your injection lines, injectors, or return lines first before you get all carried away. Good way to know if an injector or return line cup is leaking is to see if there is diesel pooling in any of your glow plug valleys in the heads, if its not this it pretty much has to be somewhere at the pump. A dentist mirror while your engine is idling works great for finding your leak at the IP, you can get one at pretty much any parts store. This way you’ll clearly be able to see if the leak is from your injection lines at the pump or from your injection pump itself, you’ll see it typically.

If its your pump I highly recommend checking out Conestoga Diesel Injection, R&D IDI Performance, Russ Repair or Oregon Fuel Injection. Very reputable companies for rebuilds/tuning on our Stanadyne DB2 injection pumps and very active in the IDI world and on this forum. Russ from Russ Repair is a great guy, he’s on this forum, his tag is @typ4.

WHATEVER YOU DO, DON’T BUY AN EBAY PUMP! Or any cheap $300-$500 pump from some random online parts store like Pensacola, Partsgeek, Summit Racing, Dieselogic, etc. Lots of bad news out there about these pumps and are typically no good in the long haul. Just do yourself a favor and don’t skimp out on a pump, it is literally the heart of these motors. I personally had a reputable, local diesel/Stanadyne shop rebuild mine. Cost me about $800-900 when all was said and done, totally brought the motor back to life and NO MORE LEAKS!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

stick_witch

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's dripping off of the drivers side frame now. The return line runs there so I'll check it the next chance i get.

There is usually a hard fuel line with a copper-like fitting at the back of the valley pan, driver’s side that the return lines tie into that is notorious for leaking. It has 2 nipples on it that the return lines hook up that are super tiny, so its hard to get a good seal onto them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lonewolf182

Reaction score
That line has to deal with far less pressure than the injector lines do. I believe that the steel injector lines use a flared fitting to seal. That may not be the correct term, but the seal is done by only steel.
That's good to know.
But it makes the sudden self repair bother me more.
I don't trust things that "fix" themselves that way. You never know when they'll unfix.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726