Fuel Guage

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Fuel Gauge

Alright I fliping hate this factory fuel gauge. The thing is all over the place, one minute it has a half tank, the next it says its empty -cuss .

I just drove my truck up from our shop to our house. I started it up down at the shop and it said I have a quarter tank left, alright thats all fine and dandy but when I get up to the house it says I'm empty (at the E). Since the road up to our house is a slight hill, I figured all the fuel had gone to the back of the tank and dropped the float. So I get up to our house which is on level ground and wait a minute, It goes up some ;Sweet , but then goes down past the E -cuss and stays there. So now its saying I'm completly empty :mad: .

Are there any fixes for this, or am I just gonna have to live with it?

Last edited:

92F350CC

Ford Man
Reaction score
Fuel gauges **** me off. They always end up going down the $hitter. The gauge for the front tank on my 92 always shows empty. The gauge for my 89 firebird shows full all the time. I think you may have to drop the tank, depending on if it's the sender or the actual gauge in the dash that's the problem.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
You don't have to drop the front tank to remove-repair the sender. Just clean off the area, remove the wire plug and then the lines. After that hit the ring at the outside of the round metal part of the sending unit. It will turn easily. Watch the locating tab because you have to locate the sender in that same position for it to pickup fuel. Thats about it. The back tank sometimes requires removing the bed. Not fun but so what. We drive a better truck than the new superdutys. They require removing the cab to pull the motor...:bs

92F350CC

Ford Man
Reaction score
You make a good point. I do like the stooper duties as well though, but i will always be attached to the 92-97 style. I also like the 83-86. And to a lesser extent, the 87-91's. I do not, however like the F-150's from 97-up. They is ugleh.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
You don't have to drop the front tank to remove-repair the sender. Just clean off the area, remove the wire plug and then the lines. After that hit the ring at the outside of the round metal part of the sending unit. It will turn easily. Watch the locating tab because you have to locate the sender in that same position for it to pickup fuel. Thats about it. The back tank sometimes requires removing the bed. Not fun but so what. We drive a better truck than the new superdutys. They require removing the cab to pull the motor...:bs

So what do I do when I get the sender off? Were do I get a new one?

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Most likely culprit is the sending unit in the tank. If you do both take the bed off. It's the easiest way.
We drive a better truck than the new superdutys. They require removing the cab to pull the motor...:bs

You can beleive what you want but I call :bs on that statement.

I did not have to remove the cab, AC condensor OR the hood when I pulled the PSD out of my Superduty and there was enough room in the engine compartment for me to stand in it when I was working on it.

Hmmm Let me compare my '90 dually to my '00 dually
  1. SD has MUCH More power
  2. SD rides so much better it isn't funny
  3. SD has MUCH less interior noise
  4. SD has less wind noise
  5. SD interior is much more comfortable, especially on long trips
  6. SD ergonomics are a little better
  7. SD visibility is tons better
  8. Both are a PITA to work on with those huge V-8 engines. I've had the trannies out of both trucks and both took the same amount of time. The IDI wins for ease of working on components on the top of the engine like glow plugs and injectors, the rest is a toss up. If you have a turbo IDI can you take off the turbo in 10 - 15 minutes like I can on the SD
  9. IDI is cheaper to work on
  10. IDI gets slightly better fuel economy
  11. BOTH are great, solid reliable trucks that get the job done;Sweet That's all that really matters, isn't it.
  12. Oh and my SD is runningLOL ;Poke :kick: :oops: :sorry:

Last edited:

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Aw man.... Thats mean about my truck not running...:cry: :moon: :cheers:

:sorry:No worries, I still havn't finished the tranny in my IDI and I shot a fountain of oil out of the top of the HPOP resevoir when I started it with the plug out while I was tinkering with the SD today....Quick but really messy way to change a gallon Synthetic Rotella.....here's what the visual looked like:fan:

Washed the engine down but it's still dripping oil from everywhere now

Felt like an :idiot: so I'll go hide in shame now

yARIC008

Drives really slow
Reaction score
Sounds like you need an anti slosh module from an Econoline. Not sure what year they started using them though...

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does NAPA or carquest have the sending units now? For a long time they were stealer only...also LMC truck and JC Whitney had 'em. Not cheap. I have heard of some guys modding older fuel tank senders which were better made for a better fix, and others simply cleaning things up and replacing the float. But IDK. I am pretty happy with the stock replacement in my rear tank. front tank still needs replacement. I take them with a grain of salt even in new working condition in Fords.

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does NAPA or carquest have the sending units now? For a long time they were stealer only...also LMC truck and JC Whitney had 'em. Not cheap. I have heard of some guys modding older fuel tank senders which were better made for a better fix, and others simply cleaning things up and replacing the float. But IDK. I am pretty happy with the stock replacement in my rear tank. front tank still needs replacement. I take them with a grain of salt even in new working condition in Fords.

I know Napa has one for the gassers, not sure on the diesel. Gas one is $80 - $90 IIRC. As for Carquest. I don't know but I suggested them because I've always had good luck getting stuff from them when nobody else could look up the parts. Definatly worth checking.

Advance and Autozone don't have them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bradz

Members online