Front end weight question???

MKD

Reaction score
So I've got the truck all finished, painted, running good and no more HARD STARTS! Thanks to this forumhttp://www.oilburners.net/forums/images/smilies/biggrin.gif. Now I'm starting on the logging side of this little deal that I'm working on. I have a hitch on the front of the truck that I plan on using to mount a jib crane to. the crane is 10' tall and has a 9' reach. I'm guessing that it weighs roughly 550 lbs. I'll be using it to load and unload logs when logging etc. I'm going to tie the jib crane into a truck rack for added stability. Then when in use I'll support it further with jack stands or some other supports.

My question is, how much weight can the front of these trucks handle? It's a 89' f250 extended cab. I need to get some pictures up.

MUDKICKR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
as long as you have it supported to the ground then i would think the truck would only work as a "third leg" and help support it, and then be a weight so it wouldnt fall to one side. i wouldnt think twice about working it as long as the front hitch is mounted to the frame very well.

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
Well you figure a 8.5-9" snow plow weighs in around 1000lbs. But those are supported more than a receiver hitch is. Then again, you will be adding a jack stand so that makes up for some

OldSchool101

Reaction score
you need to remember that the 250s had weak front springs and terrible ball joints, so if they are stock, they will wear out, i understand people install plows and whatnot and within 2 or 3 winters the front ends are shot. I would try not to leave the crane on during transport.

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
you need to remember that the 250s had weak front springs and terrible ball joints, so if they are stock, they will wear out, i understand people install plows and whatnot and within 2 or 3 winters the front ends are shot. I would try not to leave the crane on during transport.

Wrong. The F250 has a heavier rate spring than a F350 and it uses the SAME ball joints as a F350