Front Bumper & Engine Upgrade Info

The Hajj

Reaction score
Mike,

I had a BD turbo put in it a few months ago because my original turbo locked up. One of the hoses from the air intake deceloped a crack and let dust into my turbo and seized it.

Don't I need to ship the Big Hoss back to Banks for re-programming to Level 5? If so, do I just pull out the module when I need to get the emission test?

Merry Christmas!

"The Hajj"

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Doesnt the banks chip have a selector knob on it?

The Hajj

Reaction score
No, the Banks module has nothing to adjust. You must send it to Banks for programming. Wouldn't pulling it out allow me to pass the emissions test?

"The Hajj"

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Hajj said:
No, the Banks module has nothing to adjust. You must send it to Banks for programming. Wouldn't pulling it out allow me to pass the emissions test?

"The Hajj"
I'll be the first to admit, I have little knowledge of Banks products, I am just not a big fan of thier line of products. So yes, pulling it will return your truck to stock mode. If you cant pass an emissions test stock then you probably have other issues that need to be addressed.

Mike

TimMiller

Reaction score
I'm not a fan on Banks either. Personally i'd get guages first. Have you upgraded your downpipe yet? The factory one is a POS. Next i'd get a flip chip from Banks (since you buy their products) or my personal favorite TS. Give beans diesel performance a call. Ask Bean about his chips and injectors. He has some mean injectors and some great chips. You can get one that will allow you to switch between different programs on the fly, so you can be running stock, flip it over to tow, or an economy program, then flip it over to race and smoke out the ricers. :D

The Hajj

Reaction score
Mike,

My pickup passes the emissions test now with no problems. I was just wondering how it would do if we took the module to Level 5. Pulling the module seems like the logical choice, if I get it re-programmed.

Tim,

I have the gauges added to the list of items being put on my pickup at this time. As you can probably tell, I am a complete rookie at this diesel stuff. What the heck is the downpipe? The Banks air filter and Big Hoss were purchased only on a friend's recommendation. I have no loyalty or attachment to Banks. If there is a better performance chip than my Big Hoss, I will buy it. Is the Banks Air Filter ok? I will give Bean's a call. Thank you for the information.

Happy New Year to all.

"The Hajj"

TimMiller

Reaction score
The down pipe is the pipe that comes off the hot side of the turbo and goes down between the engine and the firewall for the exaust. Also i wouldn't worry about that exaust brake, save your money. I'd gut that EBPV (Exaust Back Pressure Valve). They tend to cause more problems than anything else.

Last edited:

NVCowboy

Reaction score
Hajj -

STOP buying things. Research all of the diesel sites (I participate in three separate sites) untill you are comfortable with what you want, and dont be too hasty. I thought I knew what I wanted when I started this adventure back in July, and I continue to change my mind.

Then Now
4" Exhaust Walker BTM Muffler
Tymar Intake AIS (Installed)
What's a Zoodad? Zoodad completed
Programmer/Chip DP-Tuner 6 Pos Chip
Gauges Isspro Guages
Whats BTS? BTS Valvebody

Before I get flamed for going with the muffler instead of exhaust, understand that the cost savings is paying for my BTS valve body. Got to stay in budget.

Just $.02 from a fellow FNG with approx. 5 months of Diesel Mod online correspondence courses unofficially offered by TheDIeselStop.com, Oilburners.Net, and Superdutydiesel.net. This means I dont have any real world experience, just "book lernin", which in the arena of trucks is a dangerous thing.

Bill

The Hajj

Reaction score
NVCowboy,

Thanks for the advice. I really appreciate everyone's help and willingness to offer honest opinions.

I met with the people who installed the Banks air intake, the Big Hoss module and 4" exhaust this weekend. The exhaust kit included a new 4" downpipe, so the factory unit has been replaced.

How much horsepower increase can I add to my Ford without having to worry about the transmission? Are there any transmission improvements that I should be considering?

I am going with the Reunell front and rear winch bumpers and Isspro gauges, but everything else is still being evaluated.

Thanks to all.

"The Hajj"

TimMiller

Reaction score
Just to let you know, Also look at Auto Meter. They make some great guages I love mine. You really should get an intake kit, i really think its the best bang for the buck, if you haven't gotten on yet. I was shocked at how well mine ran after putting a intake on it.

NVCowboy

Reaction score
Damn, my then and now list did not come out worth a damn when it transfered to the thread. Let me try a different way.

Then / Now
-----------
4" Exhaust / Walker BTM Muffler
Tymar Intake / AIS Intake (Installed & Happy)
What's a Zoodad? / Zoodad completed
Programmer-Chip / DP-Tuner 4-6 Pos Chip
Gauges / Isspro Guages*
What's BTS? / BTS Valvebody

*Ready to order if I could just sit in a truck with a pillar mount, a top of dash mount, and a overhead mount. My opinion is that they all have thier drawbacks. Pillar - Decreased visibility. Dash Top - Ugly. Overhead - two faced tape to windshield for attatchment.

Last edited:

Seekers

Reaction score
Any suggestions or ideas on the best place to get a triple set of gauges pyro/boost/tranny? for the cost? Opinions of placement? Does it matter much between isspro or Auto Meter guages? What are the differances for the costs? Any other choices worth considering for us new guys?

Seekers

Reaction score
I did give Jeremy a call today and left a message. He called me back long distance and was very helpful. He also has a very competitive price on the Auto Meter gauges (which he carries) vs the Isspro but I don't know how they stack up against each other. Auto Meter-vs-Isspro Which is the better gauge? They were both in the $300 range for the 3 gauges, (pyro/boost/tranny) pods, and shipping. Thanks for getting me pointed in the right direction.