Friendly reminder!

89dieselbko

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So i was headin to the job site today, and i developed one hell of a massive metallic ticking, not quite a knock, but more then a ticking... not sure what one would call that...

So i stopped, popped the hood, all looked good on first glance... though well maybe a road or something got in my tranny ill pull the inspection cover real quick... nothing there. i was stumped...

Started it up again. still doing it... left it running and walked to the front. Ran back around the side, and shut it off....

About 2 weeks ago i did a 3g conversion to the alt, and i either 1) didnt tighten the vacuum pump mount bolt tight enough, or 2) forgot thread lock and the bolt worked itself out. The results were slightly bent fan blades that i straightened as best i could, 1 missing mounting bolt for vacuum pump, and a stripped out adjustment tightening bolt for vacuum pump. Im running Vbelt setup.

Moral to the story, and as the title suggests... ALWAYS double check your work. Heck maybe once a month go around and make sure important bolts such as the above are tight. Just to save you a half hour pit stop on the way to work at 430 AM!

Devon Harley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree sorry that happened to ya I would be one mad and I mean mad SOB lol if it was 4:30 in the morning and I was going to work! I lifted my truck and being checking it all everytime I go to get in her lol.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I preach this to my kids all the time. Check your work within 50 miles of first repair. Check it again 500 miles later. Stuff works loose. Heck, you might even find that socket or extension you thought you lost.

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can't help but laugh because of the many times I have done something like this......no I'm not laughing at you 89dieselbko. Reminds me a few weeks ago when I was back at home in Lodi heading up to Chico and making a pit stop to get some parts from idieconoline in Sacramento. When I got there, Rich noticed that I had left a crescent wrench on the top of my hood haha. Can't believe I didn't notice it and how it managed to stay on the hood going down the highway for a good 30 miles before getting to his place.. I have also found many sockets, screwdrivers, and heck...even my sunglasses under the hood at one point in time! Sometimes we just forget things even if we double check. Good reminder to triple check any truck work that has been done for the safety of you and others.

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
This is why us big truckers do a pre trip. Stuff will back off, stuff will come out of adjustment. Usually, before I head out int he mornings...even with teh Buick, I do a quick walk around, check ALL the fluids and kick the tires. It takes 5 minutes, drink your coffee and walk around your vehicle.

idi_econoline

No Bed For Me!
Reaction score
My pleasure, hydro_idi! Yeah, there are fleet trucks here in town with the sticker reading "Circle Your vehicle for Safety." I try to do that with my van! Still catch myself with little stuff all the time!

Picked up a bobtail fleet truck from service at >>a major lease company<< a few months ago. "Yeah, truck, appears to be done, but we can't find the DVCR (service form)." Yep, I found it, sitting in the fender well, in a protected spot, about 400 miles later!

I would have turned in the driver of this truck for not checking underhood, but that would be my bossLOL........... did give the form back to the lease service supervisor, though. ;Really

Been driving boxes and bobtails for over 10 years. Nope, can't check ANYTHING too much!!!!!!:dunno

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JU57US

Members online