Ford's new fence cleaning option.

adrianspeeder

USAF C-17 Avionics
Reaction score
The biggest thing and whats goin' on here is the Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF). Every once a while the computer goes into a purge/burn cycle to clean out the DPF. The fluting is in the tip to add air to cool the exhaust down during the purge event so hotter than normal exhaust doesn't burn things down.

Cue a stuck injector...

Raw fuel is being dumped into the engine and collecting in the exhaust (that knockin' sound) and when the purge cycle started... FIRE.

No modifications to the exhaust system are allowed, and no companys have released aftermarket programming for the 6.4L. Ford will instantly void the warranty and the computer system is by law required to note if any reprogramming has been done. Sure people will try, but this isn't a package I would want to lose the warranty on.

This isn't just ford either, the new 6.7L Cummins and soon to be released new Duramax have the same stuff.

Adrianspeeder

hitechredneck

Hillbilly Deluxe
Reaction score
Looks even better in person seen one here at work yesterday. it was not knocking as bad but still there, that is the injectors, it is so sweet. Brand new truck only had 300 miles on it. glad i am not a service manger trying to tell the customer everything is going to be ok

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is the kind of stuff that we should do our best to hide. Ford doesn't need any more negative publicity. They've had enough for the last several years. cookoo

hitechredneck

Hillbilly Deluxe
Reaction score
Yea the 6.0 caused enough problems now this. Personally i rather have a bad egr valve everynow and again the a flame thrower. I dunno flame would be cool though. I know the first one we got in at work had the exhaust clamps loose at the turbos and was blowing black smoke out from under the hood. and the second one we sold was a flame thrower so we are 2 for 2 at our dealer for broke 6.4s. There is already techs on the message board with reports of already replacing blocks and heads and sometimes a whole engine assembly. not looking good.

swampdigger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm with speeder and Mel... another Ford blue blood here ;)

First gen DPFs, and they're having problems. Done some reading on other forums, and it's not as big of a deal as the video makes it seems.

I say we just all have a beer and blame the EPA ;) Haha, and be thankful our 80s 8600# GVWR trucks don't even have cats.

geonc

SPIDER BAIT
Reaction score
This is the kind of stuff that we should do our best to hide. Ford doesn't need any more negative publicity. They've had enough for the last several years. cookoo

True but if we -OB- are seeing it posted as links from elseware and not cross posting on other forums :ie linked back to us then we are not guilty of perpetuating negative comments that would cause us any grief.

BTW...Ford is quite capable of creating their own negative publicity ;Really

BTW 2...anyone been back to STD lately :eek: :puke:

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
great somthing else for my Subaro/Toyata worshiping friend to rag me about. sad part is i find myself agreeing with some of his arguments. :rolleyes:

i really hope Ford pulls through.

so how do i get my truck to do this when i want :D

f-two-fiddy

Reaction score
You guys are sounding like doomsayers.

It's a stuck injector. From Ford reports I've read, they've had 3 trucks do this (out of over 8000 sold). They report that the Piezo injector was not torqued properly, thus failure in short order. Sound familure? If our inj's aren't sealed to the head, how long do they last?

Personally, it sounds like they ran some gasoline in it?

I agree, once the tuners figure things out, and un-cork the exhaust. Can you imagine the power that thing'll make?

And it's NOT a 6.0. There are just to many differances to even come close to calling it that.

spencnaz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you run biodiesel in a truck that has a particulate filter, you can then remove the filter as the reduction in particulates is nearly 80% with biodiesel.

92F350CC

Ford Man
Reaction score
Yeah, i have a friend who's died in the wool toyota. He and his family drive nothing but toyotas, and rag on me because i drive a ford. This latest issue caused me a week of laughing. He still refuses to let me hook a chain between my F-350 and his taco. ;Really

PS. He also refuses to believe that my truck has never broken down. It's only had regular maintenance items. Just waiting for the phone call from him asking to come pick him up when he gets stranded on the side of the road.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
hey mel-
It's only one thread(maybe two if you consider the butt-ugly fronts) here compared to the entire 6.4 section that's "on fire" at STD. How do you propose to muzzle that group there? One thing for sure, being a mod over there will eat you alive with the workcookoo

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score

:dunno I gotta disagree Mel.

IMHO we NEED to shout as loud as necessary and get Ford to pull their head out of their azzzzzzzz, fix the problems and give us what many of us have been sold on for years.....Reliable Ford Trucks that we are PROUD to own, are NOT afraid to drive cross country, maintain their resale value and trucks that can "GIT R DUN."

I've had 5 Ford trucks over the last 25 years and have never been stranded....NEVER......and will buy another when I decide it's time so I hope they get it right and will be watching the 6.4 closely.

Russ

Idont do injectors
Reaction score
|stupid

While it may be a isolated incident. There's no reason to stick your head in the sand and pretend it didn't happen. The reason 90 percent of us are on these sites is because of problems we've had with our "Quality is Job 1" trucks. If you see a potential problem with something and do nothing about it, and someone gets hurt or killed(flame thrower exhaust setting a field on fire causing someones home to burn down) that's on your conscience not mine. IF enough people see the problem and complain about ALL the 08 manufacturers EPA regulations on new trucks maybe (just maybe) the morons in D.C. will take the hint. I know I would not be too happy in 10 years when my factory exhaust rots away under my cab floor,the thing goes into regen. mode and sets my carpet on fire.

range ridin

Reaction score
true enough there GRuss we fought enough wildfires in Texas last year witout haveing to worry about a new vehicle starting the cycle over. I love my Fords. We have three. And right now I wouldn't touch a new one with someone elses moneycookoo

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
it may not be a huge thing to fix and the rest of the truck could be 100% solid but the news loves this kind of stuff and can latch on like a bull dog. suddenly a bad injector or programming is all over the news and a struggling company takes another hit like the firestone incident.

like Gruss said if one field burns and anyone is hurt something amusing will go south quick.:rolleyes: