For yu smart Stroke guys

zx2

Reaction score
So i am watching the olympics and see the new Chebby impala comercial. The one that talks about the 8 cyl engine that shuts down to four cylinders in econo mode. Can thet be done with any electric controlled injectors? like just put a swith in line and shut off two of them when running down the road.

Discuss..

Aaron SEIA

Reaction score
Should work

I'd think it would work. IH tried that with the 549 V8 diesel they had in a couple of farm tractors. Wonder how the car makers are dealing with the compression stroke? Can/do they leave a valve open all the time when they deactivate? Otherwise, you've got 2 or 4 cylinders basically being an air compressor and you'd lose some of the advantange of shutting them down. Maybe a diesel doesn't need it, they just keep leaning out the fuel. I'm far from an expert though.
Aaron SEIA

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
so theyre trying this again i see.didn work to good with the caddys back in the 80's.

EMD Diesel Power

Misguided Trident
Reaction score
The valves stay closed at all times when the cylinder deactivation mode is on. All the systems I know about (Honda, Daimler, GM) deactivate the cylinder just after the power stroke which will leave the cylinder full of exhaust gases.

Basically you just turned the cylinder into a gas spring.... energy expended getting the piston to TDC will be returned to the crankshaft when going back down to BDC.

Each mfg. is different on how they do the cylinder switching and all that.

Fuel mileage is also helped because a wider throttle plate opening is required to feed the active cylinders.... vs a smaller opening with all cylinders operating. Smaller throttle plate opening is a bigger restriction to pull air against.

Diesels dont have throttle plates... one of the reasons for thier excellent economy.

Double-S-Diesel

parts seller
Reaction score
I Have tried it with my test box, by shutting down the injectors, you get an engine with a miss. cant be good for it.
need to shut off valves as well for it to work

zx2

Reaction score
So much for that idee-er.

It was just a thought.

My 6.9 is very close to death, so I have been tossin the options.

wanderer

Obtuse Degenerate
Reaction score
I've run my truck on 4 cylinders. It doesn't have any power, but will get you to the parts house for wiring needs.

Fishawk

Reaction score
I know some of the newer MTU's in the marine application are using this. I am familiar with the 396TT and at idle it would only fire on 2. You could over-ride it for warm-up and restrictive manuvering situations. Once you put the coals to her the other cylinders would kick in. The only thing you noticed was the second turbo spooling up, that you could'nt miss....

silverado3500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can see the cylinder deactivation on a gasser, however, diesel engines rely on the fuel for some of its lubrication needs. Would be interesting to see how they could overcome this.

I'd love to see how a diesel-electric drivetrain would perform. Diesel engine powering an electric motor (like a scaled down version of a locomotive.) That could have the advantage of not requiring a transmission, and the possibility of a tremendous amount of torque.

If I recall, Toyota showed a diesel-electric car a few years ago that was capable of getting around 120 mpg.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7

Members online