Flat bed

rlb245

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does anyone no where I can get some drawing for a flat bed. I've looked around thinking to buy one but to rich for my blood. I got the welder and torch and access to a brake. All i need is some inspiration and some idea how it sit's on the frame. I want to incorporate a goose neck hitch and a fifth wheel to pull some trailers. I'm doing a web search at this time but have had no hits. Any help would be greatly appreciate.

rlb245

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The pictures would be great 79jasper! I want to build a strong but want it as light as I can get it. A good strength to weight ratio is what I'm looking to come up with. and some custom fractures. The goose neck is for when I take the horses up the North fork and the fifth wheel is for tripping with the trailer. I also want a frame hitch for a regular trailer. I'm going to draft this thing up before I build it. I always like to get it on paper first that way you can control cost and time. any Idea's are welcomed!

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Lol. Well happy birthday.
Mine isn't real heavy, but could've probably used less cross supports.
For my 94 PSD zf-5 4x4 dualy sclb chassis cab, my weight is 6900 or thereabouts. I think that was one full tank, and one at half.

rlb245

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm planing on using fabricated I beams. With air craft style weight reduction.

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
I purchased mine on ebay for $500. It's a cadet and seems very well built. It has a gooseneck built into it as well. I had to modify it for a dump bed, but I just built a hinge, 2 -2x4 box steel rails with the hoist, then set the bed over them and bolted it on. So 5 bolts per side, unplug the running lights and I can have the bed off the rails as well.

fsmyth

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The pictures would be great 79jasper! I want to build a strong but want it as light as I can get it. A good strength to weight ratio is what I'm looking to come up with. and some custom fractures. The goose neck is for when I take the horses up the North fork and the fifth wheel is for tripping with the trailer. I also want a frame hitch for a regular trailer. I'm going to draft this thing up before I build it. I always like to get it on paper first that way you can control cost and time. any Idea's are welcomed!
Mount your goose-neck ball on a plate mounted to the frame. Fifth-wheel can use rails. Bumper hitch can be a bit
of box tubing for the receiver sticking out the back - brace it well. Beds are easy to build, but there are so many
around here (S. Texas) that I have not built one in years. Last one I did was on a Peterbilt. 2 winches. Poles. Etc.
Also, the beds are generally cheaper than the steel nowadays. If you were closer, I could fix you right up.
If I can get time, I'll take a few pics. Give you some ideas. Just ignore the rolling tailboards and bed jacks ;)
And yeah, I'm a year older than you. :)
<als>

rlb245

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks fsmyth! I would like to see those pic's if ya get the time. But if ya can't that's OK to. Life get's in the way some times and there's always the honey do's. I've started a design note book of the suggestion and pointers I get. Thank you for your insight. and
Sle2115 where did you get a bed for $500.00? I want to defiantly see a pic of that one if ya got it.

swervyjoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got mine for $300 from pull and pay. Might check craigslist in your area. Guess it depends how popular flatbed are around there.

rlb245

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It don't get much better than that. That's what I call detailed drawing. SWEET. Going to have to dance at your wedding crewd. You rock!

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
Thanks fsmyth! I would like to see those pic's if ya get the time. But if ya can't that's OK to. Life get's in the way some times and there's always the honey do's. I've started a design note book of the suggestion and pointers I get. Thank you for your insight. and
Sle2115 where did you get a bed for $500.00? I want to defiantly see a pic of that one if ya got it.

I got mine from ebay.