first ride

flatlander

plays dirty when losing
Reaction score
As a continuation of this: http://oilburners.net/forums/showthread.php?t=17117

We finished up last night about midnight, so no pics yet.

First thing I noticed while checking for leaks was a significant exhaut leak on the exhaust inlet to the powerstroke turbo. Anyone know of something I can put between the exhaust pipe flange and the turbo flange. I bought the clamp from Ford for that joint, but apparently the flange I had fabbed for my new downpipe isn't quite right. I need to come up with a gasket out of something.

Second thing I noticed: No oil leaks, yeah!!!

Third thing: For the oil return I scratched my head and decided to try the mechanical fuel pump plumbed back into the filler neck on the front of the motor. I figured that it'll suck a dry fuel line back full, it should pull oil up. It worked, yeah!! I put my thumb over the line that attaches to the filler neck and waited, started out an almost imperceptible pulsing until it started picking up oil, then the pulse turned into a small hammering which told me that it worked, but I continued to wait until I saw oil. And I saw oil. I couldn't get the fitting to start and managed to shoot oil all over the front of my motor and my hand. Oh well, it works, yeah!!

4th thing: The exhaust is very quiet--booooo! I went from the sidewinder to a dual 2 1/2" straight pipe to the compound set up with a 4" straight pipe. Turbo whistle is quieter and actual engine exhaust noise is almost non existent. boo again.

5th thing: I have two boost gauges, 1 in the sidewinder hat measuring actual intake pressures, 1 in the up pipe between the psd and the banks. taking off from a stop driving normall, boost used to hit 2, now hits 5, so take off is very smooth. At wide open throttle the main gauge hits 10 almost instantly. At about 8 psi on the main gauge, the psd gauge starts climbing until it ultimately hits 10. Actual intake pressures never got higher than 10 psi.

So, I have some tweaking. I'm going to fix my exhaust leak and replace the seal on the intake hat because I made my own gasket way back when and I know it isn't worth a hoot. The I'm going to play with my wastegate actuators and see what's possible. Then I'm going to think about getting rid of my stock injector pump.

More later.

Barney

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's cool Barney! I love inovation. ;Sweet

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
;Sweet Sounds like you about got it licked and pressures aren't too high. For the PSD turbo leak you may try to scoure the local muffler shopsand possibly here to see if you can scrounge part of a down pipe that has the correct flange.....Or possibly contact a shop like this one http://stores.ebay.com/Jerry-Jardine-Engineering that I think makes their own kits. Might be able to buy the correct flange from them vs hacking up a down pipe.

The quiet exhaust doesn't surprise me. My SD is quiet and it's straight pipe from the turbo back, however, it will bark like a big block V8 gasser if I really put foot into it.

Best of luck with it.

tuckerd1

WAR DAMN EAGLE!
Reaction score
Barney, I went back and reread your other thread and noticed you have the exhaust running through both turbos in series. I have a friend running a 12V Cummins with twin turbos and he built his with the exhaust side paralleled and the intake side in series. He's pushing 50# boost in that thing. He claims 550hp??? I know it will haul butt!!

If you run out of tweaking to do and want more, parallel that exhaust and you may hear more and probably see some bigger boost #'s too!!

Helluva project you got going!!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online