Fire in the engine bay!

BigRed92

Reaction score
First post here guys so take it easy on me!

No, the truck is not currently on fire.

Little backstory: 1992 F-250 XLT 7.3 IDI with 93k on the odometer. Truck belonged to my late father. It was handed down to me as a family heirloom, a reminder of everything my dad used to be, we went on many camping trips and whatnot in this truck. It has more sentimental value than just about anything I own. My dad was amazing at just about everything, a handyman that built addons to his house and wrenched on his truck without any issues.... and that didn’t exactly get passed on to me. I’m a flight paramedic, so I make my living working on people and not vehicles. If the truck had veins... I’d have it fixed in no time!

A few days ago I heard a “pop” and then it started smoking under the hood and out the vents. Popped the hood and got the fire put out, it was the glow plug controller (WTS light had remained on for about a week prior, I should have done more research). I’ve replaced the GP relay/controller, all 8 GPs (stuck with motorcraft thanks to what I’ve read here) and then the GP harness (the connections were crumbling in my hands. Ended up getting the harness for a 2004 6.0 and splicing the four wires to a single 10g as per another forum post here).

Well, it runs. That being said, the WTS start light comes on for about 2 seconds then goes off and the relay begins clicking. I’ve verified all correct wiring and connections with everything I’ve installed. When I took the truck out for a test drive I noticed my oil temp gauge stayed stuck to the left... and I can’t recall where I read it but I seem to remember the controller using some kind of oil temp to figure out how long to run the GPs. Plus, it’s a hard start... cranks for about 10 seconds before finally starting with a niceness big plume of smoke.

I figured electrical issues/fires wouldn’t be isolated and easy fixes, but I don’t know what to do now, there isn’t exactly a forum post or a guide on -exactly- what I’m dealing with here.

Where should I start? How does the relay work, when it’s working properly? Is there another module that could have fried or an in-line fuse somewhere that could have been blown? Would the oil temp gauge not working also cause the relay to gimp out on me, causing the hard start despite all new GPs/harness/controller?

Thanks in advance for the insight guys.

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
The glow plug controller works on the overall resistance of the glow plugs. To read the resistance correctly it has to have a clean connection to all of the glow plug connections. Sounds like you have that under control.

All off the glow plugs have to be in working order. If one or more burnt out then it throws off the total average and will short cycle like you describe.

Now here it the other one that got me. Ypu have to have a clean ground connection on the controller to the engine block. You need this to make the electrical sense loop on the controller. From the controller, through all the glow plugs, through the block then back to the controller.

For the oil sensor, it is a canister mounted on the back of the engine near the glow plug controller. If the wire to the oil sensor got messed up or is grounding out it will just peg the gauge.

Good luck, it is cool you are keeping a truck that means so much to you!

BigRed92

Reaction score
It sounds like the fire from the glow plug controller could have impacted the oil sensor since it’s in such close proximity. I’ll have to check that out and see if I can find any damage or a wire that got dislodged/burnt. I believe I have a god ground for the controller, the black wire is connected to a bolt that comes off the block and appears to be specifically for grounding the controller.

I’d like to think that since I just put in 8 new motorcraft glow plugs that they wouldn’t be causing an issue.

Man, looking at all the stuff you guys post about, I am in way over my head. It’s overwhelming to think about everything that I just have no idea how to do or what is involved!

Thank you!

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
Well that is what this forum is for, to help people get up to speed and understand how these engines work.

I would still double check the connections, any lost connection will cause it to short cycle. I cant remember exactly how the glow plug controller mounts but is it on a bracket? Is the bracket getting a clean ground? The glow plugs should be good but a quick multi meter can check can confirm. If any are infinite resistance they are bad. Just put one probe on the top of the glow plug and check to ground.

Check the glow plug controller wire to block ground also.

It can unfortunately happen where a new controller really does not work as well as it should.

If it really persists you can do a manual push button activation. Add a momentary switch to activate the solenoid for 10 seconds.