Finally got a video

JustinC00

Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
. Here’s a video of what I got going on. Injectors, glow plugs, are all new and operating. Compression is at 450 in all 8 cylinders. Doesn’t burn an abnormal amount of oil. Any ideas

Big Bart

Tow&Slow
Reaction score
Did you check your timing? I would start there.

Did it start smoking right after you put in the new injectors in?

Does it start right up or take a while?

Keep in mind injectors will change your timing, they will pop at different pressures as they age. So a tired injector will pop early (Change timing.) compared to a new injector. So if timed with old injectors and then you put new ones in your timing is likely off.

Lastly you may have a bad injector or one that did not seat and seal right. A pop tester would let you know more.

JustinC00

Reaction score
I did not mess with the timing, I’m trying to do that rn. I just have no idea where to go with it. I don’t have the dynamic, but the gear is right as the dowel lines up straight up and down when the screw is visible(in the access door on passenger side). Where do I go with the timing mark on the top?

JustinC00

Reaction score
Also all injectors were put in together and were brand new. It was smoking way worse when I bought it. Was told the ip is fairly new but the returns and the injectors were very bad.

Big Bart

Tow&Slow
Reaction score
So the smoke could be something else like oil, but it is more common that white smoke is from the diesel. You mention it smokes less now with injectors. Thus your smoke seems to be fuel related.

A couple questions-

1) What does the smoke smell like? (Diesel, oil, coolant, etc?)
2) Did you also put on a new return line kit with the injectors?
3) Do you have a turbo on it?
4) Did the truck sit for a long time before or since you bought it?

Most shops and IDI owners do not have a timing device. So likely the timing is off because a rebuilt pump was put on but never timed. So if you are familiar with these IP’s there are two timing marks on the pump between the front of the pump and the timing gear cover. I would start with going to dimes widths towards the passenger side. (Never try to change the timing with the truck running.). Then let us know what happens.

If you do not have a timing kit you really should buy one. There is a guy on EBay who sells surplus Tech Time ones for about $200. They are for GM‘s as I recall. But members have said they work with the IDI’s. Some have said they fit the damper hole, some have drilled the hole a little to fit the probe. Some use the timing light pick up bar and a timing light for a gasser with it. I will let some one who bought one weigh in on how they got theirs to work.

Other thoughts if your smoke smells more like oil than diesel.

While you are in there clean and inspect or replace your cdr valve. It is there to prevent oil from the crankcase from entering the intake manifold. If broken or clogged up it could be letting oil into the intake, but likely your engine would burn it like diesel not super heat and produce smoke.

If you have a turbo and it has bad shaft seals it could produce smoke too.

If it sat for months or years it could have some stuck rings or a bad valve seal.

JustinC00

Reaction score
Return line kit was replaced as well, cdr was replaced last week, it’s a non turbo, and no it hasn’t sat for extended periods of time. And the smoke smells like raw diesel fuel. I was leaning towards timing as I really have no clue what was actually done to it in terms of new parts. How would I check valve seals?

Big Bart

Tow&Slow
Reaction score
Justin,

If it smells like raw diesel, it’s diesel not oil. Not much you cans do to test valve seals, it’s more of I have smoke from oil so thus I believe I might have a bad valve seal/seals. (But could be piston rings.)

So now you have 2 choices.

1) Buy a timing system or find a shop that has one.
2) Play with your timing by moving you IP a 1-2 dimes width at a time to see if it clears up. (I would adjust the pump by turning the top of the pump towards the passenger fender.). But that will not set the timing just get you closer and perhaps get rid of the smoke.

I recently read someone suggest if you IP gear is 180* off this smoke issue can happen. But I would start with adjusting from where you are. If you cannot get it right pull and inspect the gear is not 180* off. The timing marks on the pump are a reference, not where it needs to be. Again start by moving the pump towards the passenger fender.

Lastly there have been many who had pumps rebuilt by less known shops and had issues out of the box. Don’t assume your IP is the issue, but don’t assume it is not either.

Last edited:

Booyah45828

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Best thing to do is have it timed with a meter. Those marks are only good for the original pump. A different pump(new, used, reman'd, etc) will require a different position, and a new mark.

If you're blowing white, diesel smelling smoke warm and up to temp, your pump is likely several degrees retarded. Advance it a dimes width or two and test it again. But, the best idea would be to time it with a meter, as that would leave no doubt as to where it is timed.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Although I doubt that the IP gear is 180 out, I just want to point out that since the gear and the IP can only be aligned one way, the dowel will always be at the 12:00 position when the adjusting screw is visible at the side access on the IP. This, however, has nothing to do with the alignment of the IP gear with the cam gear that drives it.

JustinC00

Reaction score
Hey guys. Took me literally 6-7 hours, but tore the fuel system down and took off the ip. Lined up #1 to TDC, and lined the Y marks on the ip and cam gear, and there is no more smoke at idle or driving. At all. The throttle and engine is responsive and runs good. The only thing I’ve noticed is it’s a bit clattery and there’s a bit of rocking. Nothing major, but noticeable. And I have no clue where the ip gear was before, but something tells me it was way out of wack

Big Bart

Tow&Slow
Reaction score
Justin,

Glad to hear your smoke issue is behind you. It should only clatter hard till it warms up then sound normal. So if it clatters all the time you can adjust the IP towards the drivers side one dimes width.(Retard it.) Then see if it goes away. Perhaps a second time if needed. Looks like who ever installed the IP last goof it up.

Next you need to have the timing set with a timing meter. If after it is timed it is still rocking, it could be a bad injector. Don’t assume a new part must work, seems like weekly on this site someone got a bad part out of the box.

You can open the line to one injector at a time. You can tell which cylinder makes the least difference. Maybe that injector did not seal or is having a issue causing your rocking. Have that injector pop tested and also make sure you replace the copper seal. Also make sure the first copper seal is not still in the hole.

Glad things are moving in the right direction.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
That would certainly make it smoke. I guess you now know that whoever replaced the IP didn't have a clue as to what they were doing.

CDX825

filtration nut
Reaction score
Your timing was retarded before which is what was causing the smoke. Now you say its clattery which would be a sign its a bit too advanced. Try moving the pump towards the drivers side just a small amount and see what that does.