Fat guys, regular cabs

Selahdoor

How can I help you, or make you laugh, today?
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok, fellow fat guys...

My truck is a regular cab.

My stomach isn't actually into the steering wheel, but it's not that far. Even with the bench seat as far back as it goes.

I'd like to have more room. Has anyone figured out how to do so?

Don't want to cut the cab or anything as drastic as that.

But, different seats?

Can the steering wheel, (tilt), be moved forward toward the radiator at all?

Any other ideas?

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
The only style seat I can think would take up less space is one from the back of a newer suicide-door supercab. It may not be as comfortable though.

I'm a tall/skinny goof. I still find a std cab cramped.

Selahdoor

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would think that any seat made for an extra sized cab of any sort...

Would be even worse in a standard cab, than the seats made for the standard cab.

I don't see why they would have thinner backs, when they have all that room to be thicker. Designers tend to fill up the space.

Am I wrong?

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
I would think that any seat made for an extra sized cab of any sort...

Would be even worse in a standard cab, than the seats made for the standard cab.

I don't see why they would have thinner backs, when they have all that room to be thicker. Designers tend to fill up the space.

Am I wrong?

I think you might be...

They're trying for 'crewcab' space in the back of these suicide-door cabs (or Dodge quad-cab) so the rear bench is more compact.

Garbage_Mechan

Garbage Mechanic
Reaction score
That is the trick to the 92-97 bucket seats from a crew or regular cab (same for both but not super cab). The back is way thinner. I could shoot you some measurements if you are a show me type guy.....not much for posting pictures

Selahdoor

Supporting Member
Reaction score
That is the trick to the 92-97 bucket seats from a crew or regular cab (same for both but not super cab). The back is way thinner. I could shoot you some measurements if you are a show me type guy.....not much for posting pictures
I guess I'll be looking for some buckets from a regular cab, then.

To be honest, I would prefer buckets anyway, to the bench.

~~~

Anyone ever move a steering wheel further forward?

Away from the driver.

Wouldn't have to be much.

I swear the cab and seats look like they are identical to my 89. And both have tilt wheels. But the 89 seems to have plenty of room. While in the 92, it's not tight by any means, but it seems like the wheel crowds you more.

gandalf

Reaction score
A couple thoughts. Can you move the track further back, so that the seat itself can go back further? That it, if it's not already hitting the rear wall of the cab. Also, I vaguely recall that the mid 60's Thunderbirds had a telescoping steering column. You might take a look at one of those, if you can find one. Another thought: is it possible to simply shorten the steering column, cut a chunk out of the middle and reconnect the two ends?

Selahdoor

Supporting Member
Reaction score
A couple thoughts. Can you move the track further back, so that the seat itself can go back further? That it, if it's not already hitting the rear wall of the cab. Also, I vaguely recall that the mid 60's Thunderbirds had a telescoping steering column. You might take a look at one of those, if you can find one. Another thought: is it possible to simply shorten the steering column, cut a chunk out of the middle and reconnect the two ends?
Seat is set back as far as it will go. Already up against the back of the cab.

It may be setting a bit lower than the other truck as well. (The seat height.)

I was wondering the same thing about the steering shaft. I'll look into it when I have the truck here again.

I have owned several chevy trucks. (Yeah, I know, gasp!) Every one of them had telescoping steering shafts, and you could move the wheel further toward or away from you by loosening the bolts that hold it to the dash, and sliding the whole thing, then tightening the bolts again.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
You may be able to slot the holes in the mounting bracket. Both the ones to mount to the dash and the ones to mount to the column itself.

Jason1377

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a 1993.5 Ford f250 7.3 n/a super cab or least that is what my insurance says it is, I'm 6"4 and close to 270 lbs but still wish my stock bucket seats would move a little further back only good thing it has the lower lumbar option.

Moving steering wheel forward would that not effect driving along with steering box firewall issues as well.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
steering box firewall issues as well.
I'm sure that you could find a way arund the firewall issue. As for the steering box, that's where the cutting the steering shaft so it's shorter came in. Since the shaft is collapsable, I don't think that it would even have to be cut.

Selahdoor

Supporting Member
Reaction score
LOL Best answer.

I drove it a couple times today for testing. Yeah, I need to do something about this, it isn't comfortable to drive.

I realized today that a taller seat might be the ticket. Meaning one where I sit further up off the floor. Not one that is further back.