f350 6.9 questions

razorback

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i posted this on a another forum, but im just going to copy and paste it here. i can link you to the other thread if you would like. but here it goes, any help is appreciated.

ok well some of you know i bought an 87 f350 dually auto with a banks turbocharged 6.9 engine. only thing is that it had a battery fire, and tok out most of the confusing part of the wiring harness. i found a harness but i think it was from an 83-86 model, somme of it doesnt match up to the wires i have left. anyway, the guy has another one so im going to get that one when i get the steering column. so far the things that are wired up and working are: headlights, blinkers, blower motor, interior lights (cant get front ones to turn off for some reason) fuel tank switch/fuel gauge. rest of the stuff im trying to trace back to the fuse. ive used every wiring diagram i can find, so far still going slow.

updates are: took apart and cleaned the water seperator, looks like its a racor one, the glass bowl looks like it has some small cracks (nothing leaking) it was DIRTY i mean it looked like mud that came out of the bottom of it. also changed the fuel filter, also had a bunch of black dirty fuel in it. changed oil and put in rotella t and wix filter, and reinstalled the radiator and slowly adding more, will finish that when i get a heater hose replacement.

now comes another question, what lines are suppose to go to/from the solenoid (looks like a solenoid or heater of some sort) thats tied into the water seperator/filter? is that an overflow return? pressure relief? what is the routing path it needs? also there is a mechanical pump looking thing below the alt, it almost looks like a fuel pump, what is that? its not hooked up so im sort of curious. also did the 6.9 radiators with auto coolers built in? looks like i have an aftermarket one, must of came with banks kit? and, the one thing im dreading the most..whats the easiest way to drain/remove 20 gallons of old diesel from the tank?

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The easy way to drain that dirty diesel is to get an electric fuel pump and pump it into buckets. The 6.9 radiators were available with a built in tranny cooler. Both my original an replacements had a built in cooler for the C6. The 83-86 wiring should be similar. The glow plugs and a few other odds and ends may be different. You need to put out a call for detailed wiring diagrams from the brotherhood or either buy them from alldata. There are a few things you might want to upgrade such as the headlights and the fuel tank selector wiring.... others may have other suggestions.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
got news for you. 1987 is a "stand alone" year for the wiring harness. Most of the plug connectors are unique for that chassis. Best to do is find a 88-91 harness for future compatibility. take a pic of what burned. Repairing a harness is not out of reach but not ideal for longevity. I am putting back together a '87 F250 4x4 and am not terribly attached to the harness since I do have a couple of 88-91 trucks that I can cannibalize the harness and sell you the '87 one.

razorback

Full Access Member
Reaction score
jd, i was thinking of using a waterfall pump or something from lowes, im going to check prices when i go to to work today, if they are cheap (like 10 or 20$) ill go that route, then drop the tank and clean it that way. i dont feel like muscling around 20 gallons of fuel (its the front tank btw) and like towcat said, the 87 is a different wiring harness, lucky me. i have the alldatadiy wiring diagram, but between that and the old, non 87 harness i have its a nightmare (ill tackle most things automotive, but i HATE wiring)

towcat, ive come to realize that im special with that harness. i looked everywhere for a harness but only found one, and not sure if it is an 87 or not, im going back next monday to look again. mostly what was burned was around the voltage regulator (most burned of them all) and above the passenger wheel well, also looks like it went up to the alt wires, im guessing it was a faulty regulator. im afraid to ask, but pm me a price on what you want for the 87 harness, i just need from the connector that goes into the engine harness, back. 3 or 4 feet if possible. i dont need the whole thing. (just need all connectors, and can tie it itno the old wiring, using solder)