F-700 brake problems

Tynian

Wrench Counter
Reaction score
Hello ,

My buddy has an 86, f-700 dump,

His situation, as he described to me, is this;

My electric motor brake light keeps coming on and stays on as I drive.
Sometimes it will go out .

Now he says that his hydraulic brake canister on the rear drivers side is pouring fluid.

He wants to know can can he just replace the can or rebuild it, how to rebuild it, and/or were to get on if he has to purchase.

Any info will be greatly appericiated

NJKen

is a daddy!
Reaction score
That is one of the worst brake systems in the world. The can can be removed and replaced without too much agravation. There is the hydraulic line that must be removed. Once the line is off you will need to run the nut on the back end of the can all the way down. This will draw a threaded stud about 2 or 3 inches out of the can. This will release the spring pressure inside the can and allow its removal. It works like an air brake chamber but uses oil pressure instead (if that helps my explanation at all!). Once the line is off and the spring is caged you can remove the chamber. There is a big jam nut that must be loosened and the the whole chamber can be spun out. Removing the wheel and drum is not nescesary. Most heavy truck brake supliers can get the Ford/Girling brake parts. If not, go rite to a Ford heavy duty dealer.
I do not think these chambers can be re-built.
Good luck
Ken

Tynian

Wrench Counter
Reaction score
I,ll try it

Thanks Ken, ;Sweet your a big help
I'm calling my buddy now, I know he will appreciate it also.

Chat-U-Later