f-450 parking brake

Double-S-Diesel

parts seller
Reaction score
need some help from the driveshaft brake expert.
how does it come apart, need to change shoes and make shure all is Ok
any diagrams.
thanks
Nick

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
nick-
has it been driven while the brake was applied?
i have one that has been disassembled but it suffered a meltdown from someone driving with it applied. i can post pics tomorrow.

FARMFUEL

VEGGIE BURNER
Reaction score
Good luck and God bless you. Knock off the 4 nuts on the yoke, and try to pull the drum off. If it won't come off, remove it from the transmission and try to get it off.

This is very difficult. Mine was seized on there, and I had to take a cut-off wheel to it. I ruined it, and had to get another drum. It seizes on the flange. Once you've removed the drum, you're not even half way done. Now you need to remove that 2-5/8 nut (I think it's somewhere around that size) to pull off the main shaft. The main shaft has to come out to remove the 4 bolts that hold the shoes on. There are two seals that will need to be replaced- they're not reuseable.

Your best bet (the least stressful way) is to just try to find a used unit that the brake still works on. Seriously- I'll never do this again; I'll pay to have it done. Check on Ebay or Craigslist.org Good luck

Last edited:

Double-S-Diesel

parts seller
Reaction score
Its on a truck that is only driven 200' or less at a time usually, and gets stopped and started at least 10 time daily , sometimes with 3 seperate drivers.
dont know the whole history on the truck other than its abused and likes it.
earlier in the year the brake wouldnt hold, new shoes where installed, they were a little tight so it was just driven to brake them in.
pedal goes to the floor regardless of adjustment, I believe that is in the pedal assembly its self.
the truck has been driven with the brake on.
Ive worked on the adjsutment and have found I have had to fine tune it to get it to hold and not be too tight, also need to have no drift when applied.

I got as far on this one as pulling the shaft, and the drum.

Im striving to fix it and have it work as good as new.

FARMFUEL

VEGGIE BURNER
Reaction score
You have to remove it from the transmission to access the nut. The nut is huge, and the preload on the bearings is light. It's like tightening a spindle nut- not too much; just enough. There's two tapered roller bearing inside that are opposed- just like on a wheel hub. You're going to need to remove the six bolts and take if off the tranny. If you look inside the shaft where the splines are- that's a freeze plug in there. It can be popped out, but there's no need.

Your problem isn't in the pedal, it's in the lack of lining material on the shoes. Once you take your shoes off to have them re-lined, they need to be adjusted to the point where they grab JUST as the pedal almost touches the floor. Once you go to reassemble the unit, you might want to have the drum turned. The used drum I bought was warped, and turning it fixed it.

Also be sure to use Mercron V when filling it up. I used Mobil-1. It only holds like 1/2 a quart.

This should be made a sticky, Mel.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You have to remove it from the transmission to access the nut. The nut is huge, and the preload on the bearings is light. It's like tightening a spindle nut- not too much; just enough. There's two tapered roller bearing inside that are opposed- just like on a wheel hub. You're going to need to remove the six bolts and take if off the tranny. If you look inside the shaft where the splines are- that's a freeze plug in there. It can be popped out, but there's no need.

Your problem isn't in the pedal, it's in the lack of lining material on the shoes. Once you take your shoes off to have them re-lined, they need to be adjusted to the point where they grab JUST as the pedal almost touches the floor. Once you go to reassemble the unit, you might want to have the drum turned. The used drum I bought was warped, and turning it fixed it.

Also be sure to use Mercron V when filling it up. I used Mobil-1. It only holds like 1/2 a quart.

This should be made a sticky, Mel.
if you can get a half quart in you're doing pretty good. it's more like a half pint.

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the f450 parking brake is non user servicable!the drum,shaft,bolts/nuts,bearings and everything are assembled then balanced as an assembly.this is straight from ford.

FARMFUEL

VEGGIE BURNER
Reaction score
the f450 parking brake is non user servicable!the drum,shaft,bolts/nuts,bearings and everything are assembled then balanced as an assembly.this is straight from ford.

Exactly- that's why I said I'll never do it again!!! Too much work/hassle.

Not too sure how you come up with it being balanced. I guess it could be, but it's the yoke that's got the balance holes drilled. Once reassembled, mine worked just fine after I turned my drum.

The fact that it doesn't have a drain makes it unserviceable. What the hell were they thinking? If you want to drain the oil; you've got to remove it! ***!

Double-S-Diesel

parts seller
Reaction score
so basically inside there is 2 bearings and 2 seals.
Im gonna bet this one has never had fluid added and I would bet there is no fluid.
as for balace issue that would not be a problem as top spped on the truck is less than 20mph and it is used strictly off road.
is it a hard to tear apart and put back together?
or are the parts worth more than a complete assembly.

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
complete assembly new from ford is 1200.00 can find them used but most people that have them know what they are worth.i picked up a new ford unit off ebay for 850.00.

you need a press to press the shaft out of the rear bearing.

and thats if the ford dealer will even sell you the parts.it took a week for the dealer i use to finaly find the parts list for it cuz its not rebuildable except by ford.

when they balance it they put the shaft,drum,yoke,bolts and nuts altogether and balance them all as a unit then put it in the housing.

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
if i were the original poster,since the truck is used only off road.i would have ditched the sucker,bolted in a t-case in it's place.had the driveshaft fit for it and called it a day.for all off road use and just used 200' drives at a time,it would have been much more handy to have a low range than a parking brake...........but he probably had (still has?) a manual in that case,he probably wanted to set it while leaving the vehicle to feed the hogs or whatever.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger