external alternator regulator

idiburner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hey everyone anyone got a picture or now what wire goes to what letter on the external altnator regulator the little grey box that attaches to the wall. i was climbing around the engine bay when i accidentally discounted all 4 and dont remember how they go back on thanks guys

92 f250 7.3idi 5speed 4x4 eclb

idiburner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well looking at mine my wires I don't have a white wire I have a orange wire instead ill post a picture. ovobisly my alternator is not charging battery's right now

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's almost an overload of info. Be nice to have that info in a sticky.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well looking at mine my wires I don't have a white wire I have a orange wire instead ill post a picture. ovobisly my alternator is not charging battery's right now

Here's a simpler diagram. Ford wired their alternators two different ways, this is the way they wired them when they used the idiot light in the dash.

A diesel will never need the extra white/black wire for the choke.

You must be registered for see images

ZWilson07

Cowboy
Reaction score
This is mine on the 90. I don't know if the setup for the 92 bodystyle change is different or if the colors changed.

You must be registered for see images attach

I: Green/Green & Red Stripe = to 500 ohm resistor and indicator lamp.

A: Yellow and Yellow & White Dot = Y to rfi capacitor, Y & WD goes in with wires from stater motor relay and post on alternator.

S: White/White & Black Stripe = connects in with orange & light blue wiring on alternator.

F: Orange/Orange & Light Blue Stripe = connects to alernator and meets up with S from above at alternator.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is mine on the 90. I don't know if the setup for the 92 bodystyle change is different or if the colors changed.

You must be registered for see images attach

I: Green/Green & Red Stripe = to 500 ohm resistor and indicator lamp.

A: Yellow and Yellow & White Dot = Y to rfi capacitor, Y & WD goes in with wires from stater motor relay and post on alternator.

S: White/White & Black Stripe = connects in with orange & light blue wiring on alternator.

F: Orange/Orange & Light Blue Stripe = connects to alernator and meets up with S from above at alternator.

I brings the system online with a signal from the keyswitch via the dash lamp. This keeps it from running down the battery with the key off

A Is the voltage sensing for the regulator. It monitors the trucks voltage and instructs the regulator how much voltage to put on the F wire

S Is the stator wire. This tells the regulator the alternator has some output. On a gas truck they also use this wire to operate the electric choke assist.

F Is the field wire. This wire is what controls the output of the alternator. More voltage means more output. If you take this wire off the alternator and tape it, and then put another wire from the bat + to the F terminal of the alternator, it will throw the alternator into wide open charge, and can be a way to see if the alternator actually works.

ZWilson07

Cowboy
Reaction score
I brings the system online with a signal from the keyswitch via the dash lamp. This keeps it from running down the battery with the key off

A Is the voltage sensing for the regulator. It monitors the trucks voltage and instructs the regulator how much voltage to put on the F wire

S Is the stator wire. This tells the regulator the alternator has some output. On a gas truck they also use this wire to operate the electric choke assist.

F Is the field wire. This wire is what controls the output of the alternator. More voltage means more output. If you take this wire off the alternator and tape it, and then put another wire from the bat + to the F terminal of the alternator, it will throw the alternator into wide open charge, and can be a way to see if the alternator actually works.

Thanks for helping to clarify. I was just about to post I can go into more detail about what each does. Above was just a quick look at the picture diagram in my book but I assumed he only needed to know what wire color plugged in where. I don't know how much was already in place and ran or if he is basically trying to figure it out from scratch.

I also have another wire set from a 91 that is the same matching colors as my 90 so OP if all your 92 wire colors are different then they changed them for the body style switch.