Exhaust Valve Height

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I have one new exhaust valve thats about 35 thousands above the valve spring keeper. All the others are around 90 thousands above the keepers. Anybody know of a spec or gut feeling about whats acceptable in this area? All the valves are new inconel valvea as are the heads. I try to use only new heads and valves on my rebuilds. It costs more but I want the best I can buy in this area.

suv7734

Reaction score
icanfixall,

Just so I understand, you are saying the portion of the valve that sticks above the keeper is .035 and the others are .090? The only spec that's going to be relevant is the installed height. I have all the head specs here but I'll have to find them. I will post back.

Bruce

suv7734

Reaction score
Found It

icanfixall,

The spec you need is: Installed Stem Height

Intake: 5.7250-5.7350"
Exhaust: 5.7250-5.7350"

Measured from the head deck to the valve tip

Just an FYI, the total lengths of the valves are:

Intake: 5.6880"
Exhaust: 5.6760"

You did indicate that these are new valves? If not it might be a deal where someone had a head with excessive seat recession and ground the top off to get the height within spec?

Bruce

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Yes, you have it correct. The one exhaust valve stem is 35 thousands above the keeper. Yes, all the valves are new & so are the heads. I've been told that running this motor will be ok but it will make some noise because of the rocker arm contacting the keeper. That part scares me some. The keeper is not intended to support the rocker and over time will cause the valve clips to come out and then you can figure out what happens when a valve looses its clip and drops. I will probably pull the heads and measure the lengths with the specs supplied. Thanks. You probably saved me a windowed block sometime in the future. Any other thoughts out there?

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
DO not runit touching the keeper, they make keepers different heights. i will get back to you

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntjapkes

Members online