Exhaust Question

opusd2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, you're wanting to expel the exhaust gases the best you can while still retaining enough heat to help with the scavenging of the bad stuff. It's been my experience with tractors that are NA (and trucks as well) that a free flowing muffler does help. And stainless makes the nicest sounds... ;-)

hoodshauler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
NA trucks are very load without a muffler. Guess in depends on where you live and if you like to talk to anyone in your truck while you are driving:rotflmao

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
I ran mine briefly without a muffler (n/a) and it was very loud. I have 4.10's and running 50 mph with stacks was deafening, I would have had to invest $1000 in a stereo! :) I put a welded muffler from summit on it and it sounds really nice. Very deep and throaty, and will still make some noise on the top end.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
It's a little bit of a drive but you have a Truck Pro in Cicero, they should have all the pieces to make up a 4" system and a real nice 4" straight through big truck muffler that was designed just for big diesel engines that will sound great and make it breathe nicely;Sweet

Big Glyn

Old Guys Rule
Reaction score
**** or no ****

Should I run a muffler or not

YES! please run a muffler. My neighbor had a diesel powered Ford van that he ran a straight pipe on and it rattled the windows worse than the punk kids with a 40 series Flowmister on a gas rig. Nothing worse than a rig that makes a lot of noise and goes no where in a hurry. :D

CDX825

filtration nut
Reaction score
I ran my truck down the road with just the y pipe for ***** and giggles and it was so loud that you would have had to scream at someone in the cab to talk to them.

Compu Doc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I ran my truck down the road with just the y pipe for ***** and giggles and it was so loud that you would have had to scream at someone in the cab to talk to them.

I did the same. Luckily I was in a rural area otherwise someone would have surely called the cops. That was taken off the old system leaving the Y pipe.

After I did that I removed the Y pipe and went with a Gibson muffler 3" inlet 3" outlet and 3" pipe all the way out the back with a 4" chrome tip that was adjusted for the best possible sound before that was welded to the 3" pipe.

Mat J

Way down south
Reaction score
iv got 4" on my n/a used a magnaflow diesel muffler and sounds great and really quited it down vs no muffler but is still alot louder then stock. iv got the 14" one.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance