equalizing both tanks?

hawaiian808

Whiplash FTW
Reaction score
Fist do they make a extended fuel tanks for our trucks? if not has anyone ever built a equalizer between the to and did away with switching tanks?

hawaiian808

Whiplash FTW
Reaction score
thats what im looking for sweet :) and i may just equalize them and not have to worry about my switcher failing on me

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can't "just put a tee" into the original fuel lines and make them work. If one tank ran out out first, then it would just suck air and quit. To make this work, you would have to put a fitting in the bottom of each tank and then connect them together. Then they would act like one big tank.

hawaiian808

Whiplash FTW
Reaction score
i might get the 38 gallon rear and tee them on the bottom :) and put a valve in there just in case something were to happen :) i just wanted to make shure i was not crazy when i thought of this

austin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like too much work to still have to worry about two sending units. I'd rather worry about the switch going out.

hawaiian808

Whiplash FTW
Reaction score
my plan in my head is to do away with the stock pick up unit ( since i been told it is brittle ) and use a FASS system , and with both tanks being "one" i dont have to worry about anything like my pick up breaking or switch going out, all i have to do drive the truck, if something were to get a hole in the primary tank i could shut a valve , use some road side jb weld or something similar wait to dry open valve be on my way till i can get a new tank etc ( worse case scenario ), instead of running out of fuel in the middle of wv, oh or ny , plus my tanks will be out anyways :) so i have the time

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
Bad thing about pulling from the bottom of the tank, is you suck up all the water and dirt. That is why pickup tubes pick up from about 1-2" from the bottom

hawaiian808

Whiplash FTW
Reaction score
o no i plan on fully coming in from the top haha, just one tube with a valve on the bottom to equalize it and a new pick up coming from the top, i want to keep the stock pick ups and tank switch but i travel to far out into no mans land to often during the winter to rely on it when i can build a quality system that is not only dummie proof but also simpler and alot less to worry about going wrong

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score
Bad thing about pulling from the bottom of the tank, is you suck up all the water and dirt. That is why pickup tubes pick up from about 1-2" from the bottom

If you ran your tanks to near empty between fill ups and kept up on your filter maintenance, wouldn't this never be a problem?:dunno

TWeatherford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You never know what you might get from a fuel station. Plus, diesel sucks up water and it all ends up on the bottom.

I have been wanting to tie the tanks together. Basically make the rear tank feed into the front tank with a welded fitting on the bottom. Then I would only bother with the front tanks sending unit, cause I'd only need to know when it was getting low.

bike-maker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The front tank sits lower than the rear tank. So if the tanks were linked together, in order to get the whole works full, wouldn't one end up overfilling the front tank clear up into the breather line?

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I thought there is some kind of hills in PA. If so, wouldn't the front tank overfill the rear going up, or the front filling the rear going down. Just hope you have a flat driveway if the tanks are full.

instead of running out of fuel in the middle of wv, oh or ny , plus my tanks will be out anyways so i have the time
Lot's of gas stations in Ohio, I'm almost in the middle, just call me.

Really, instead of doing what your proposing, just put a tool box in the bed with 2-3 five gallon jugs of fuel in it, that will get you a hundred miles. That's what I did in Alaska where filling station's are far apart. That Spectra 38 gallon tank is going to cost you about $175. Just got a Spectra 22 for $125 at Azone. All Spectra tanks are made in Canada.

Tank prices http://www.buycheapr.com/us/result.jsp?ga=us14&q=spectra+fuel+tank

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online