enough venting for intercooler?

Danielle

No, it's not finished
Supporting Member
Reaction score
These stupid forums are more addicting reading than Danielle Steel. So the other night I did a search on intercoolers and read until 3am. So much information and pictures! I love you guys.

Anyway, if I use a smaller intercooler (a lot of recommendations to use 4 cylinder Japanese car coolers) do I have enough venting in my current bumper?

You must be registered for see images attach

Cincinnati Guy

Reaction score
It looks like you have more than enough compared to the stock PSD many upgrade to.

You must be registered for see images attach

Cincinnati Guy

Reaction score
LOL just by a little bit, im sure that will not have much or any effect on an intercooler, Id say a lot of the air is also pushed in from up underneath the truck to.

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score
Looks like you could allow the slots to favor the lower section of the IC and allow some air from the grill to help.

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
I wondered how effective a littler intercooler would be vs the Freightliner intercooler Bigrig gave me. I plan on running the freightliner IC unless I can't make it fit with a diesel radiator.

Danielle

No, it's not finished
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How dare you suggest I take a knife to my baby!!

I was reading a lot of the discussions on here about the size of intercooler needed for our IDI's vs the ones readily available for the power strokes. I think I will go with a small one, and try to find a long skinny one to line up with the slots in my bumper.

I have been pricing the silicon hoses. Ouch. I can use an oxy acetylene torch for heating bolts and cutting, but I have not welded since school many moons ago (but not THAT long ago, lest you think I am old hahaha). My next post will be looking for someone local who will show me the ropes haha

4x4TruckinGirl

"Cowgirl"
Reaction score
honestly, i'd use the smaller intercooler if given the choice of doing it again OR not even putting an intercooler on the truck at all......I don't really think it gave much of an improvement, but that's just my opinion....

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the "smaller" IC tends to be the "bar and plate" design. the are more efficient compared to the tube style IC. I've driven my '92 before the IC and would not want to go back to before IC. imho the difference is very well worth it. now it pulls hard to the governor and I don't have to watch the pyro like a hawk.

88beast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
an ic wouldnt be necessary unless you got more than a stock turbo system
also the bumper holes are smaller than the psd
youre best bet is to use sheetmetal screws and air ducting for the house from **** depot and make a under bumper catch diverter thatd allow more flow and you can get a ram air effect
also the larger the ic the bigger drop in boost you need to find out what works for you if youre fuel is turned way up and normal driving the pyro reads 800-1000 degrees then a large ic would be best if youre much lower a small one will do fine
also corey wanst talking about a knife but a cutoff wheel would do wonders or make a bumper like mine
but... you could also use 2 tiny ics behind each foglight hole and move the lights to a roof rack or the top of the bumper

Danielle

No, it's not finished
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know he didn't literally mean knife :) I have been trolling turbo threads here too and getting some estimates together, might pick this project instead of body panels. I am going to need this rig to be ready to haul boats around by spring. With the wedding coming up and my obnoxious honeymoon, and the shop opening, this winter is going to fly by. And I want to fix up this boat so bad. But now I am going to take up your advice and look up some options on air redirection. The fog lights can totally go. And the license plate hides a big square cut out as well. You guys are the best!!

And I will seriously make a trip out there if you meant it! Would be nice to meet someone from here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tyler9828

Members online