ENGINE VIBRATION

built4tq1

Reaction score
well,seem to have yet another question for you brainiacs aboard this vessel. Im having vibration problems on the old 7.3. Its been getting worse as time goes by. The truck has about 140k on her and has new head gaskets, injectors and glow plugs, Now i have tried what i can to pin point this vibration and have failed thus far. The truck idles right at 750 rpm with no misses or hiccups. However this vibration at idle is bad enough that it shakes the truck to the point that you can see the mirrors moving and here an assortment of rattles. If you pop the hood and look at the engine while vibrating it will play tricks on your eyes. Funny thing is though once i rev the engine from 750 to 850 the vibration is almost absent. I have checked my torque converter and flex-plate. I've inspected the harmonic balancer seems kosher,I have even pulled all the v belts of the engine to see if maybe it was something in the accessories and...yeah..still vibrates. If your in the vehicle in put her in gear the vibration will intensify. (seems the lower rpm's are the worse it gets) Motor mounts checked out fine to by the way. I'm lost at this point, could it be trans related? torque converter? I'm not sure, which is why i have submitted yet another question to what i believe to be the most knowledgeable diesel forum on the net. Thanks everyone

cardana24

Full Access Member
Reaction score
have you checked your IP timing? Before I timed my truck it was much rougher at idle. Just an idea.

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
I'm seeing that you had the injectors replaced.

Were they pop tested before they were installed?

And since they were replaced, has the motor been retimed since the install?

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I'm putting my money on injectors because you just "worked" on that part of the engine. What type of injectors did you install.... New or rebuilt... Where did you buy from... Hopefully you didn't buy from anybody on the Hall of Shame....

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You might want to do a compression check. See if all the cylinders are the same. That, and unbolt your trans and torque converter to rule that piece out.

built4tq1

Reaction score
Motor mounts?
motor mounts are kosher
I'm seeing that you had the injectors replaced.

Were they pop tested before they were installed?

And since they were replaced, has the motor been retimed since the install?
motor has nor been times since basic rebuild. However everything was excellent for a good 400 miles.
You might want to do a compression check. See if all the cylinders are the same. That, and unbolt your trans and torque converter to rule that piece out.

Compression check is on the list. as for the trans that truly is the only way of ruling that out. I dont know why but my thought keep leading me to torque converter shutter:dunno

built4tq1

Reaction score
I'm putting my money on injectors because you just "worked" on that part of the engine. What type of injectors did you install.... New or rebuilt... Where did you buy from... Hopefully you didn't buy from anybody on the Hall of Shame....

The injectors were purchased from http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/6-9-...ptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

everything was kept as clean as possible upon install;Really I purchased those injectors before i found out the wonders of the ones provided by members of this site. If suggested i will pull them and buy some bb's:sly

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntjapkes

Members online