Engine Timing and Lack of Black SMOKE (NOT Looking to get Black smoke....just read)

dakotajeep

Patrolling
Reaction score
I just returned from a trip to North Alabama and had a blast driving roads that were barely two lanes with no lines. Also, got to take the rig on some old forest service dirt roads. Remember that I am unloaded for the entire trip besides myself, my wife, my buddy, two dogs and necessary emergency type items in the bed.

Anyhow, from what I understand under hard acceleration/long hills I should see some black smoke (NOTE: I am not trying to get black smoke I just want to ensure that my engine is properly running!). I had quite a few long grades where I was barely going 35 mph and ******* out the EGT's at 1100-1150. While in those conditions I would have small amounts of whitish/gray smoke.

My understanding is that my timing might be retarded? What do you guys think? Note: I hit 1350 on the EGT's once while avoiding a interesting situation.........

Thad

reklund

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like the timing might be a bit off. Also, what kind of condition is your injection pump in? How about the lift pump and fuel filter? I'd guess you have plenty of fuel by the EGT's, but it's worth asking about the fuel supply...

Ryan

Papabear

Papabear
Reaction score
i think you will only get black smoke if you either turned up your IP or if you need a new air cleaner because the black smoke is unburnt fuel at combustion temp. I don't even want to hazard a guess concerning the gray/whitish smoke. All in all it sounds like you just gave the dawg a chance to stretch his legs and all concerned had fun doing it.

dakotajeep

Patrolling
Reaction score
Sounds like the timing might be a bit off. Also, what kind of condition is your injection pump in? How about the lift pump and fuel filter? I'd guess you have plenty of fuel by the EGT's, but it's worth asking about the fuel supply...

Ryan

I wouldnt doubt the IP is the original....or the second one at most. But I am just speculating. I got the pickup with 155,000 miles on it and have no idea what the history is like other than it worked at the Kennedy Space station till 2000.

OK dumb question. What and Where are the differences in the IP and lift pump?

I change out the fuel filter every oil change so it shouldnt be the issue.

Papabear,
The air filter is clean. I did have a blast but I also dont think the rig has been pushed that hard in some time......

Thad

Papabear

Papabear
Reaction score
i wasn't saying it was the air cleaner i was just stating that black smoke can also be a symptom of a dirty air cleaner as well as a turned up IP

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think the timing is retarded or you might have some injectors that are dripping instead of giving a good spray pattern. Also your pump could be tired. You don't say how many miles the rig has or if you know whether the fuel system is original or not. Typical life expectancy for a fuel system ranges from 100-200K miles or so most of the time with some dying much sooner and others living much longer than those figures. Let us know what you decide to do.

4play

Full Access Member
Reaction score
mark a line for urself in the ip, then move the ip as far over to the pass side of truck as possible. if it makes alot of noise at idle start coming back toward d side. that will advance timing to better power figures. i played with mine. went the other way first to see what it was like and ( harder to start, hotter egts. lower power. ) then i advanced it and low and behold ( easier to start, colder egts, more power. ) not much notice on the smoke though but seemed more grayish retarded, more blackish advanced. and then.......
the ip ( injector pump, pressurizes the injectors and controls the timing of when the injectors fire fuel into the cylinders. ) ( the lift pump basically only supplies, or moves the fuel from the tank to the IP.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You just answered most of my questions in your post. A new fuel filter ever 2500-5000 miles is way past plenty, should be fine unless you got a bad batch of fuel. If the injectors are original they should have the factory grey IH paint, mine did at least and I hear that a lot from people on here with original injectors. Harder to say about the pump unless it has some sort of reman tag on it as some of them did or do. You might want a new fuel system if its in the budget. Check out Pensacola Diesel. They have frequent ebay auctions and they have gotten mostly good to excellent reviews here, plus not that far from you in all likelihood.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh yeah the lift pump is a mechanical low pressure diaphragm pump that supplies fuel to the IP at 4-7 psi. It is on the passenger side of the block and it works well or you can replace it with any electric fuel pump that moves at least 30+ GPH and makes 4-7 psi of pressure. You can use a block off plate for a BB Chevy V8 where the fuel pump lived.

4play

Full Access Member
Reaction score
to include if you dont know yet, you are at the mileage that an ip or injectors could start failing. i know some people go well over 200-300k on an untouched engine i.e injectors, inj pump.... i am just saying that stuff wears out. and some of your stuff could be worn out at 155k. being from a govt. facillty it probably has 2-times the idle time as it does mileage. seriously what did that truck do to get that kinda mileage. its not like it towed the space shuttle across the country twice a month. so shorts trips/idle time galore..... i hope mine lasts longer than that too.

reklund

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The lift pump is the mechanical pump on the passenger side of the engine that supplies fuel to the injection pump. The lift pump supplies fuel at low pressure to the injection pump, which increases the pressure and distributes it to the injectors at the proper time for combustion. To liken it to a gasser, think of the lift pump like a coil, and the injection pump like a distributor...

I'd start by having the timing checked by a reputable diesel shop and see where it goes from there. A new injection pump and injectors is worth the $500 or so in parts if you intend to keep the truck, but start by diagnosing what is wrong with your current equipment rather than just shotgunning the whole deal.

Ryan

I wouldnt doubt the IP is the original....or the second one at most. But I am just speculating. I got the pickup with 155,000 miles on it and have no idea what the history is like other than it worked at the Kennedy Space station till 2000.

OK dumb question. What and Where are the differences in the IP and lift pump?

I change out the fuel filter every oil change so it shouldnt be the issue.

Papabear,
The air filter is clean. I did have a blast but I also dont think the rig has been pushed that hard in some time......

Thad

dakotajeep

Patrolling
Reaction score
The lift pump is the mechanical pump on the passenger side of the engine that supplies fuel to the injection pump. The lift pump supplies fuel at low pressure to the injection pump, which increases the pressure and distributes it to the injectors at the proper time for combustion. To liken it to a gasser, think of the lift pump like a coil, and the injection pump like a distributor...

I'd start by having the timing checked by a reputable diesel shop and see where it goes from there. A new injection pump and injectors is worth the $500 or so in parts if you intend to keep the truck, but start by diagnosing what is wrong with your current equipment rather than just shotgunning the whole deal.

Ryan

Yeah, the issue around here where to go to get a good mechanic. The only dedicated diesel guys around here are big rig guys and they just kinda help me to be nice I think....lol....

If I have to I will have it looked at by my grandpas old neighbor. He is the guy that has cars waiting for a week or two just because they know he does quality work!

I have no problem spending money when necessary but dont want to throw money at this thing needlessly.....hence I am here chatting with you guys!

Anyone know a good mechanic in SE Alabama?

Thad

Mr_Roboto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've had a number of IDI trucks....

You really won't see the black in most exhausts from the drivers' seat unless it is very heavy. Once you get heavy smoke, you will see a haze behind you.

A better guide to timing is the noise (rattle) that the motor makes.

dakotajeep

Patrolling
Reaction score
I've had a number of IDI trucks....

You really won't see the black in most exhausts from the drivers' seat unless it is very heavy. Once you get heavy smoke, you will see a haze behind you.

A better guide to timing is the noise (rattle) that the motor makes.

SO, with that said.....more noise=good? and less noise=bad?

Thanks

tractorman86

Reaction score
no you dont want it to rattle but onces it does just back it off a little bit, remember a little adjustment goes a long way on these motors.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zemmeron