Engine smokes at Idle only when warm?

cheapthrill

All men need toys
Reaction score
I have a 1992 7.3 idi with 215,000 miles. I just bought it, and noticed that After I let the truck sit at idle with a warm engine it start smoking quite a bit. Only at idle. It only seems to happen after idling for a good while. Its a grey smoke.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After setting how long? If it's after a few minutes or more its normal. After it sets a few minutes your EGTs get below about 300*F and it becomes hard to completely burn your diesel fuel. If it's right away I suggest you probably have slightly retarded timing and maybe a a weepy injector or two. You do have clean filters and not too many air/fuel leaks I presume?

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Most likely, it's asking for a set of injectors. Time for a fuel system refresh if the component milage is unknown to you. See the link in my sig.

cheapthrill

All men need toys
Reaction score
I think that over the winter I will replace the pump,injectors, and glow plugs. I was going to put on a turbo, because i have a 7,000 lb. trailer and pulling up hills it belches black smoke and struggles. It might just be the fuel system?

poolguy

Slippery when wet
Reaction score
Cheapthrill,
Welcome to the site!
From what the guys are saying, yes it's probobly the fuel system.
Listen to them, these guys are good! They stopped me from bailing out on my truck when it was smoking bad, turned out to be the turbo.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
placidoert

Members online