ENGINE OVERHEATING???

noahz

92 F250 idi
Reaction score
I have a 92 IDI. All of the sudden out of nowhere it will smoke blue/grey when i step on it. It usually never does this unless i'm starting it cold. but it normally stops in a couple seconds.. Also, my oil temp gauge was like 3/4s of the way up.. And i've never gotten it past a quarter.. what could be causing this???

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If it happens when you start it cold..... how could it be overheating? There isn't time for the coolant to get warm. The blue/grey smoke at start up may be a leaking injector or two or oil.

I'm still not sure when this is happening. You see the smoke only at start up or when driving at WFO?

Heath

noahz

92 F250 idi
Reaction score
it normally only smokes when i start it cold. but today it kept doing it after it was warmed up. and then the oil temp went way up...

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
oil temp or oil pressure. I'm not sure what you are seeing by the posting you have... An injector leaking or a bad pump may be the reason for the smoke...

noahz

92 F250 idi
Reaction score
the oil temp got very high very quick. and it never smokes untill today..

forcefed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
try aftermarket guages. stock guages are just dummy guages that do not give accurate readings until its too late in my opinion.

noahz

92 F250 idi
Reaction score
its the stock gauge... I could run it all day and it would stay well under half way on the gauge.. But does anyone know why it would just randomly start smoking some as im driving? since its never done that before no matter how hard i was puttin my foot on it?

redneckaggie

rebel w/o a cause
Reaction score
mine will smoke like that if i just fire it up and run it cold but the best practice with these trucks is let them warm up til the timing advance turns off i do this with my truck almost everyday