Engine issues

psy9zach

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So got both new heads on the motor is put back together glow plugs are working engine cranks cracked the lines fluid from each out and tightened it down resealed the lines but getting small puts of whit smoke from the intake out of the cdr and the hole for the dipstick and lots of blue and white smoke anyone have any ideas

Sent from my ASUS_A006 using Tapatalk

Kizer

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can you verify that the CDR is working as scheduled? (search forum for CDR problems)
If it's plugged up it can cause crankcase pressure issues ... hope that's it.

Selahdoor

How can I help you, or make you laugh, today?
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can you verify that the CDR is working as scheduled? (search forum for CDR problems)
If it's plugged up it can cause crankcase pressure issues ... hope that's it.
I would think the CDR would have to be pretty much completely stoppered up, to keep the engine from starting. (Even if it did, at that.) And I believe the CDR default failure state would be wide open.

perhaps low compression from something with the head gasket job going ary.
Agreed,

Have you done a compression check since you replaced the head gaskets?

I am wondering if you need to adjust the valves???

Fuel and compression, (And working glow plugs at cold startup, helps.) are all you need to get one of these started and running.

You've got fuel, apparently. (If the IP is supplying enough, and at enough pressure to pop the injectors.)

Well, ok, what about timing? Check your IP timing, first.

psy9zach

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Let me ask this with the radiator open is it normal to get some smoke out of it well the truck is running like is that just steam?

Kizer

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would think the CDR would have to be pretty much completely stoppered up, to keep the engine from starting. (Even if it did, at that.) And I believe the CDR default failure state would be wide open.

I didn't understand (read) that the engine wouldn't run. My idea was based on my experience with ***** CDR on a running engine.

My mistake.

Selahdoor

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I didn't understand (read) that the engine wouldn't run. My idea was based on my experience with ***** CDR on a running engine.

My mistake.
You know, after I wrote that, I went back and looked.

When I read the first post, my immediate assumption was that the engine wouldn't start.

So got both new heads on the motor is put back together glow plugs are working engine cranks cracked the lines fluid from each out and tightened it down resealed the lines but
That SOUNDS like he couldn't get it started.

But then he continues with:
getting small puts of whit smoke from the intake out of the cdr and the hole for the dipstick and lots of blue and white smoke anyone have any ideas
And later says:
Let me ask this with the radiator open is it normal to get some smoke out of it well the truck is running like is that just steam?

So now I am wondering. :) I could have been completely wrong.

Maybe psy9zach can clear it up for us.

Kizer

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You know, after I wrote that, I went back and looked.

When I read the first post, my immediate assumption was that the engine wouldn't start.

That SOUNDS like he couldn't get it started.

But then he continues with:

And later says:

So now I am wondering. :) I could have been completely wrong.

Maybe psy9zach can clear it up for us.

Thank you Sir.
Good to know that I'm not that loaded ... yet.

Selahdoor

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thank you Sir.
Good to know that I'm not that loaded ... yet.
You're welcome. I should not have made the assumption. I should have asked in the first place.

The engine runs and fires immediately with the glow plugs.
Thank you.

Still might want to check the IP timing, and the compression.

psy9zach

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Going back to what you guys where asking how do you check timing on these considering there is no spark plugs wires for cylinder 1

psy9zach

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There's is the timing mark based on the pump also thank you for taking your time to help
You must be registered for see images attach

psy9zach

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Considering that it was 2 new refurb head with new valves maybe the seats just have to be broken in?

Kizer

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Going back to what you guys where asking how do you check timing on these considering there is no spark plugs wires for cylinder 1

With all due respect:

There many, many threads regarding timing these engines (not motors) within this forum.

If you have trouble with your search (after you have tried to search) nearly any member will be glad to help you.

carsonlhammond

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you get a good amount of pressure in the radiator within 1 minute of starting the truck dead cold/ lots of burbling and foamy coolant there's a good chance the head gaskets aren't sealed. It kinda sounds like you have a SH*t load of blowby in one or more cylinders as well considering its coming from the cdr in short puffs as you say, blue smoke could be burning oil from the rings being bad.