Engine ID

88IDITurbo

88IDITurbo
Reaction score
When I bought my truck the previous owner told me it had a 94' turbo engine swapped in. I read today that the 93 and 94 motors had serpentine belts however my engine has V-belts. How can I determine what year my engine is from? Truck is an 88'.

Simp5782

SNOW TACKLER!
Reaction score

It is possible for him to use all the brackets off the old engine if the new one didnt come with them. They will all work. The casting number will tell you need to know I am sure.

Attachments

• smiles.gif
    smiles.gif
    41.6 KB · Views: 7

RANOVRU

Full Access Member
Reaction score
FWIW some people with later model motors switch back to v-belts. Anythings possible.

Oil filler should tell you whether its a 6.9 or 7.3.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Any turbo block will have 1/4 inch oil port plugs. All other blocks be it 6.9 or 7.3 non turbo blocks have 1/8 oil port plugs. The first turbo block has a serial number of 1,116,331 and goes up from there. Below that and you do not have a turbo block. Now after teling all that, you still can't know for certain if the block has the inconel exhaust valves or the 33mm pioton pins. Any idi engine can run either Vbelts or serpentine belts. All the blocks are drilled the same so al the acessarys fit both turbo or non turbo engines. Find the block serial number just to the drivers side of the injection pump and post them here.

88IDITurbo

88IDITurbo
Reaction score
When I get back in town Sunday I will look for the serial number and post it as well as a picture. Just want to know what I got. Seems the previous owners of this truck have had their hands in everything and all the work seems to be "Mickey moused"

88IDITurbo

88IDITurbo
Reaction score
Ok the number I read off the top of the block to the right of the injection pump is U2U509123. ??? Any help on this is appreciated. I will post some pictures tomorrow.

RANOVRU

Full Access Member
Reaction score
CYLINDER BLOCKS

6.9L IDI 1983-1987
Starting at the beginning, the 6.9L IDI engine was introduced in 1983 with the first series block (c/n 1805440C1). This is considered by most as not a viable block casting for rebuilding. It is easily recognized by the lightweight or narrow gusseting across the upper area in the front of the block (Figure 1).

In 1984 the second series block (c/n 1807996C1) was introduced. With improved structural integrity, this is considered the block to use for all applications of 6.9L engines. To rapidly identify it, look at the same area in the front of the block (Figure 2) with the wide gusseting. The 6.9L was never turbocharged, therefore you will only require one long block part number for all 6.9L applications.

7.3L IDI 1988-1994
Block c/n 10809000C1 was used for the entire 7.3L IDI years of production. The serial numbers for naturally aspirated applications are 500,079 through 1,116,330.

This block was prone to cavitation damage on the exterior of the cylinder walls on the left bank thrust/valley side of the cylinders. For more details about cavitation see "Core Corner: Fighting Truth Decay About Cavitation" (Engine Builder, January 2006, page 38).

These walls were recorded as moving as much as .004˝. Since this block looks nearly identical to the 6.9L, the quick visual for identification are the coolant ports at the corners of the cylinder deck. The 6.9L has triangular coolant ports (Figure 3), while the 7.3L coolant ports are round (Figure 4).

7.3L IDIT 1992-1994
Block c/n 10809000C3 is the turbo block and the end of the IDI chapter. These engines carried serial numbers 1,116,331 to the end of production for the family. Note that the casting number is identical to the non-turbo block other than the C3 at the end. Make no mistake: this is a different and stronger block, which you may certainly use for IDI applications but do not attempt to do it the other way around. You will regret it.

One of the key differences is that the main webs on the turbo blocks are approximately .100˝ thicker. The visual aid for this block can be found at the rear of the engine. The turbo block has a 1/4˝ pipe threaded hole for the oil feed for the turbo (Figure 5). This same port on the non-turbo block is just 1/8˝ and is used for the oil pressure gauge. There are non-turbo blocks out in the field that have been drilled and tapped to 1/4˝ so it is always a good idea to verify serial and casting number.

Heres the link I got this info from http://www.enginebuildermag.com/Art...e_international_6973l_powerstroke_engine.aspx

From where Im sitting the # you posted doesnt look like a block casting number??

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok the number I read off the top of the block to the right of the injection pump is U2U509123. ??? Any help on this is appreciated. I will post some pictures tomorrow.

That serial number isn't for a IDIT. Look at the oil ports like Gary said. If they are 1/8 inch, the block is not and IDIT block.

Heath

RANOVRU

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just keep in mind that theres the slight possibility it couldve been tapped for a 1/4".

Casting # is always the surefire method for finding out what youve really got, rather than searching for probabilities..jmho.

88IDITurbo

88IDITurbo
Reaction score
Looked last night and the oil port appears to be 1/4". I am not convinced the number I posted was the block serial number. Can I get some more detailed info on were to look? The U2U509123 number I posted was on top of the engine on the driver side of the injection pump.

To me this number does not look like a serial number since it has letters.

88IDITurbo

88IDITurbo
Reaction score
Is there a way to ID a turbo injection pump without taking anything apart? Is there a casting number of sort?

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looked last night and the oil port appears to be 1/4". I am not convinced the number I posted was the block serial number. Can I get some more detailed info on were to look? The U2U509123 number I posted was on top of the engine on the driver side of the injection pump.

To me this number does not look like a serial number since it has letters.

That is the serial number. You are not seeing the first three digits, but there are there. They look like the below photo:
You must be registered for see images

Heath

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bob123456789

Staff online