Engine has a new ticking sound at idle

Trevtron

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No power loss or oil consumption, this new ticking noise at idle started today. Anybody recognize that sound? Not overly worried, just trying to see if anybody else recognizes it. Seems to be from the front passenger side, and isn't noticeable at higher rpms. So probably isn't a pulley, appreciate any opinions. And have put a lot of money into the engine and fuel system, these old 6.9's have great economy and power!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=OCTnNKa1edg

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
stand back abit and have someone work the throttle.

larson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine makes the same ticking noise since I bought it. I find it more audible once it's been driven a while and then sits at idle.
My brother asked me the other day what it was. I told him it didn't matter cause the cost to fix is more than the trucks value lol.

Trevtron

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks, Tomorrow I'll have my wife work the throttle and I'll see what she does. That sound only happened today after it was warmed up and was stopped at a light, and never noticed anything different under acceleration. Only noise in my cab is the occasional CB chatter, I don't use my radio. The sound of the ol IDI is what I like to hear

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have the same tick and I have for years. Never caused an issue and don't worry about it.

Trevtron

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks, I just have a sensitive ear and got curious as to what that new noise might be caused by.

Trevtron

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I spend a lot of time reading on here, best resource out there and great bunch of people on here

Trevtron

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Turns out that noise is audible with some rpms, but only from the passenger side.
Might run some Seafoam in the oil, how long do you leave it in your oil before you change it? This truck has under 100k and wasn't sure if the valve train could be the the culprit, I don't want to inkowlingly do damage to her

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=EyN5D1Cj3GQ

pelky350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the same noise it started about 30k ago with 130k on my truck now at 160k engine still going with same tick no power loss or smoke , used additive to see if it stopped wth no luck I think it's lifter noise cause occasionaly it will go away for a little bit when the truck is warm. Replaced injection pump, injectors , return lines all new so I feel like my noise is most Likley lifter and yours sounds similar to mine. Truck runs very smooth just ticks a little. Id be more concered if the ticking noise was associated with a running rough situation

Trevtron

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Glad to see others have those types of noises to. It was my grandpas truck and I've only put about 2k miles on it. My dad had one growing up and we had about 300k on it before it was sold and it ran trouble free with just basic maintenance performed (and it's still going strong). These old trucks are tanks.

I'll just live with the tick, adds to the beastly harmony of the IDI

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't bother, if you are curious and want some possible answers then I would pull the valve covers and give everything a good look over and double check that everything is still snug and not sloppy. Look for any sludge buildup around any of the valves. Don't reuse the gasket and replace with a non-cork-pick-ur-brand.

Trevtron

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Added a quart and 1/2 of oil and within 20m of driving down the highway it decided to stop ticking.