engine blew!

giezy

Reaction score
my truck finally gave up and broke a piston!

I now have a new to me used 7.3 sitting in the shop and i would like to go and pull the heads and do the head stud's and mabey get the heads done and some other little things. I also have a master power twin flange t3 ar.70/.70 turbo with a 4 inch intake and eghaust outlet

I am just fishin for some ideas to do before swapin the motor out ?

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
7.3 dont need studs like the 6.9. ceramicoat on the pistons is nice n cheap but unneeded... what kinda ideas you diggin for

92F350CC

Ford Man
Reaction score
I wouldn't discourage him from studding the motor. Even the 7.3 benefits from having head studs. It sounds like he might be wanting to run some higher boost #'s than stock, so the peace of mind is definitely worth the $$$

giezy

Reaction score
I wouldn't discourage him from studding the motor. Even the 7.3 benefits from having head studs. It sounds like he might be wanting to run some higher boost #'s than stock, so the peace of mind is definitely worth the $$$

You hit the nail on the head would like to intercool it and turn the boost up to 20-25 psi and see how the stock bottom end does was going to do a little port clean up and polish the combution chamberalittle and do a valve job

Tha turbo in my truck has some bad bearing play so a upgrade with the turbo is in order to

giezy

Reaction score
to be honest with you would like to do twins and keep them on the smaller side for less lag anyone here with some ideas?

1994Diesel

Constantly thinking
Reaction score
How about Mercedes turbo diesel turbos for the 3.0L? :dunnoLOL

About the studs, I have read enough on this forum over the last couple years to comfortably say that If you are not a gambling man and are going to be pushing above10-15psi, studs WILL be something you would want.
Nothing sounds scarier to me than head lift. LOL

wmoguy

Reaction score
toss a Typ4 cam in there before you slap that new engine in the pickup!

88 Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I definitely agree that you should do studs. And definitely should upgrade the cam while you are at it. It is gonna be apart anyway, so why not. Its pretty cheap! As for the boost, there are a few guys pushing over 20psi without trouble. As long as the block and heads are prepped properly there is no reason not to do it. And for a lil more added insurance, some even slightly over torque the studs. But the affects of doing that is some what debated. As soon as I get the chance, I want to find the limits of a stock idi bottom end. I am waiting for the Hypermax gaskets to come out. Ron at Hypermax said they will be rated to roughly 40psi. My goal to hit 30-35psi with my turbo blowing into my supercharger. It should be neat to see what a stock bottom end will hold. And if it blows, I will just rebuild it and build it to handle the boost. Also what about using a pair of Hy35 turbos for your twins? They will spool really quickly and I think would be about perfect size on the compressor side. That would be a nice setup for 20-25psi on an idi. What other plans do you have for your engine?

giezy

Reaction score
i was tinking of hy35's but also hy1c's would be a tought aswell i have a spare 7.3 to build a short block when the time comes but for now whant to stay stock bottom end for $$$ resones

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
i will tell you from experiance the stock bottom end handles 25+ psi just fine, and i have revved 4500rpm with a stock bottom end, i have never had studs. but if your gonna push the engine and you got the money then do studs, i have copper coated gaskets with stock bolts and i have been holding 25+psi since last september

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
placidoert

Members online