Encountering resistence spots in 1987 Ford E-350 van with pitman arm steering

Randy C

Reaction score
Hi All,
I have a 1987 Ford E-350 XL Cutaway Van with a 6.9l diesel engine. It has 141,000 miles on it. It was formally a fleet vehicle. It has a steering problem. What I notice is that as the steering wheel is turned in either direction I encounter some resistance, push past it, encounter it again, and push past it. The same thing happens when I steer back in the other direction. It started after the vehicle came out of outdoor winter storage in northern MN. I started looking for the problem by checking the kingpins, both were tight, then I replaced the center link (drag link), left link, adjuster, and the left tie rod end. I also did the front brakes and the bearings (including races). The steering is much tighter now, but it still has the resistance at two points in the turn. The steering gearbox was replaced 3 1/2 years ago at 113,232 miles by a commercial truck shop. They installed a remanufactured steering gearbox and remanufactured power steering pump. Any ideas what might be causing this problem?

Christian9112

Full Access Member
Reaction score
steering gear box for sure. the "center" is made to be tight so that your steering stays straight. when the adjustment screw is turned too tight, or if it's worn out, youd feel that resistance in the center a lot stronger, like its binding. you can try losening the adjustment screw and see what happens.
Check if something is snagging tho

Randy C

Reaction score
Christian9112,
Looks like we are both driving retired ambulances. They really are great vehicles.
Thanks for your thoughts. I thought the steering gearbox as well and was looking for information on how long a rebuild typically lasts. The gearbox has 28,000 miles on it.

Garbage_Mechan

Garbage Mechanic
Reaction score
I’m not familiar enough with the E series to know for sure.... If there is an actual u joint in the Steering column shaft it could be rusted or binding.

Randy C

Reaction score
G Mechanic, you were correct to direct me to look at the steering u joint. Turns out that the problem was when I removed the old AC compressor to do the injectors, I never reinstalled it. Instead, I installed a Duralift fuel pump on that bracket and set the old hoses next to it. I later removed the one going to the condenser but didn't remove the other. It had managed to fall down onto the steering linkage and was rubbing on that. Simple to solve, I wired it up and out of the way. Steering works great now.
Thanks again everyone for your help!