Electric fuel pump

Exekiel69

Reaction score
I have both and unfortunately I had to send the carrier back to have it replaced. The holley is noisy compared to the carrier but I think it is just as good (I like the flow on this one) and I ran wmo and wvo on both as well.

Btw if you use the holly and fuel with wvo, remove the screen inside the pump and use an aftermarket filter on the fuel line.

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have several pumps, Holley REDs, Holley BLUEs, and Carters.

The Carters, in my opinion, are by far the best.

The Holleys mount with motor UP; whereas, the Carters mount with motor DOWN and the fuel actually circulates through the motor, thus cooling it.

A few points to consider :

The electric-pump should have a switch in the circuit so it can be manually controlled at will; this switch can be in the key-ON wire, such that the pump can be turned off at those times when you need the key ON, but do not need the pump ON.

I have and prefer a mechanical lift-pump as my main fuel-pump.

I have an electric-pump mounted to the frame, under the driver's seat, plumbed in a "by-pass" line, protected by check-valves.

I can turn the electric-pump on AT WILL for such tasks as priming the various filters, seperators, and such, and in the event that the mechanical pump were to fail.

I have a few more conveniences plumbed into the fuel lines.

I have a valve that diverts the fuel DRAW line into the RETURN line, such that I can empty one tank into either of the other two.

I have a valve and quick-coupler that I can snap a hose into and pump fuel from either of my three tanks into another truck, tractor, pasteboard-box, or whatever I so choose; this little convenience is quite handy.:thumbsup:

If I had no choice but to rely solely on an electric-pump to fuel my engine, I would not mount only one pump, but TWO pumps, plumbed parallel, with cut-off valves and check-valves, such that I could draw fuel through either by simply flipping a switch, yet stop the flow to either in the event of a failure requiring a pump to be removed.

One may comfort himself/herself in thinking that, should their sole electric-pump give up the ghost, a replacement is as close as the nearest parts-store; myself, I would much rather simply switch power from one pump to the other and not be in-convenienced by having to lay on my back, with my feet in the road, while getting a diesel bath.;Sweet

As for electrical power to the pump, it should be minimum 12AWG FUSED HOT from close to the battery, triggered ON by a relay that is controlled by a key-ON source.

I put common two-prong pig-tails on all of my pumps, such that wiring them is easily accomplished by merely plugging the wires together.

corliss010492

Reaction score
i have a holly red pump and im wondering if its okay to put the pump a little after the fsv? i was thinking that that would be a lot of work for the pump if im using the rear tank

pennsylvaniabo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i installed my pump right after the fuel selector valve and powered it with a relay off of a aux fuse panel i installed. the relay turns on from an ignition source with the key. you are supposed to also hook up a oil pressure switch in case of an accident and the engine stalls you wont keep pumping fuel out.

might want to also consider the carter fuel pump. they have much better isolation mounted and run much quieter than my holley. cant say i have any experaince with the carriar pump but they look nice.

is that a holley blue?

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My experience with the Holley electrics is that they don't last very long in a high duty cycle application. My racecar went through Holley pumps about once a year, while the Carrier pump is used on large refrigerated trailers for days or weeks on end. I realize some folks have had good luck with Holley's, but the Carrier is designed for long term, full duty cycle applications with diesel fuel, which makes it the better choice IMHO.

Then again, you know what they say about opinions......

askikr79

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got a carrier from genlighting. I installed it on its side in the engine compartment near the passenger side battery. Its running 6-7 psi at idle.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanohawk

Members online