Electric fan conversion, good or not?

dank1945

Hippo Hands man
Reaction score
Hi all,
Can anyone tell me if electric fan conversion is a good idea on an 01 automatic 24V, mostly to help keep the auto xmission oil cool? I had done it in my 94 Ford IDI and it ran much cooler. It is a common conversion on Ford IDI's.
Is it a common practice on 5.9's too?
Thanks for any help.:dunno

Whit

Reaction score
last I knew there wasnt a fan available out there that moved as much CFM as the one you already have..........I have read of peeps doing electric fan conversions but I sure dont see the bennies myself.....................now on the other hand ifin you wanna move the radiator, trans cooler and AC condensor up in the back of the truck and put electric fans on em that would leave yer intercooler in a very good spot upfront all by itself................now we are talkin

dank1945

Hippo Hands man
Reaction score
electric fans conversion

I ran my Ford IDI with the electric fan conversion (out of a Windstar minivan, dual fans), with a thermostat control, and it kept my engine at a constant temp all the time. To me, the benefit is you're not turning the fan when the engine is cold (I live in St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada) in winter, that helps warm up quicker, and saves hp.

On the other hand, in hot weather, even idling in traffic your electric fans are going full blast if called on by the thermostat.
One difficulty to me is that the coolant reservoir is mounted behind the rad, but I'll see if I can relocate it when the nice weather comes in the spring. That will probably make enough room for a set of twin electric fans.

I was wondering if anyone in this forum had experimented with the conversion already?