Electric/Charging Problem

bird hunter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok so I'm stuck, truck has no power to batteries now whatsoever. A few weeks ago my voltage gauge started reading way high, but truck still started fine. Then it was beginning to crank harder like the batteries were dying and one battery started leaking - so I replaced both batteries last weekend. Went for a 2 hour ride and back and truck was running and starting fine. Went to start it this week and nothing, the new batteries are dead! So today I replaced the starter solenoid relay just because it's cheap and I thought it might fix it. Nope. I have double checked all battery connections.

My only ideas now are the voltage regulator or alternator??

I just can't keep replacing parts and I don't really know how to troubleshoot these electrical problems.

Any ideas and help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks guys

Worstenemy453

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok so I'm stuck, truck has no power to batteries now whatsoever. A few weeks ago my voltage gauge started reading way high, but truck still started fine. Then it was beginning to crank harder like the batteries were dying and one battery started leaking - so I replaced both batteries last weekend. Went for a 2 hour ride and back and truck was running and starting fine. Went to start it this week and nothing, the new batteries are dead! So today I replaced the starter solenoid relay just because it's cheap and I thought it might fix it. Nope. I have double checked all battery connections.

I just can't keep replacing parts and I don't really know how to troubleshoot these electrical problems.

Thanks guys

Go to Advance and have your alty load tested to see if its charging.

Black dawg

Reaction score
if your voltage was still high on your 2 hour drive, you have a regulator problem. a stuck regulator will also drain the batteries pretty fast. feel the regulator after it the motor has cooled down, it will be warm.

MR.T

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Thanks guys

Electrical troubleshooting is tough over the internet, but here's some quick basics. There's lot's of books on automotive electrical, and info on the internet. (Edit: here's something on the subject)

Over voltage ruins batteries, so the new batteries may have suffered the same fate as the old ones. Check the electrolyte level and add distilled water as required. They probably say maintenance free and need no water, but just pry the caps off anyway. They will come off just like the old fashioned ones, just made to look like they don't. Over-charging (high voltage) will cause loss of water, heating, etc. Now try charging them with a charger.

You'll need a voltmeter to do any troubleshooting. The batteries should be ~13 volts off the charger, see if they crank the engine. If they do, measure the voltage at the battery terminals with the engine running. It should be about 14.4 volts. If it's over ~14.8 typically the regulator is bad. If it's under ~14.0, either the regulator, the alternator, or both could be bad, as well as blown fusible links, etc.

Another type of regulator failure allows current to the alternator field even when the engine is off, draining the battery. An ammeter can be used to detect this, clamp-on's are quite handy.

You may want to get someone knowledgeable to help you (mentioned earlier), or see a mechanic. It's easy to burn stuff up, or get hurt, when you are not familiar with electrical systems.

Last edited:

oldmisterbill

Grumpy Old Man
Reaction score
I think we are in the same boat. A cpouple weeks ago after setting a week (Mine can set for months & months with no problems) for the first time in years it had a dead battery.I mean dead! Flat dead!!!
I had been sick for a couple weeks and a relative was going to move it for me to get my lawn mowed, I said leave it I'll get that area when I feel better.SO I figured when it wouldn't start maybe he had tried to start it. I charged the batt & no problem it started fine & did so a few times -acouple days later dead battery! Charged & started it noticed it is charging at 18 volts.Tmie to shut it down - it will ruin the battery but also answers the dead battery. It is full fielding through the regulator causing the over charging & when shut down it is still full fielding causing the alternator to draw on the battery.
By the way where in Main do you live -I have friends all over Maine.

Compu Doc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With charged batteries and a cold engine the alternator will be warm if the regulator is built into the alternator as mine has a built in regulator and had happened to me. Instead of me just replacing the regulator I replaced the alternator under warranty even though the regulator would have been an easy change out provided the truck was not a van.

You must be registered for see images

The regulator pictured is sitting on the back of the alternator on top held on by two screws. Being my truck is a van it's not out in the open and the alternator would have to be removed to replace the regulator.

Pictured below is the alternator that is in my truck. You can see the regulator on the back of the alternator sitting on top.

You must be registered for see images

bird hunter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice everyone. Still not sure what I'll do as I dont' have a charger or voltmeter. Maybe I will get the batteries charged, get the alternator tested, and replace my fender mounted Motorcraft electronic regulator. Hope I didn't kill my new batteries.

Old Mister Bill - I live in a small town called Cornish, ME near the NH border. I see your profile and I am from Mass. originally too, but glad I moved out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online