Need electrical help!

Roehre008

Reaction score
I am driving from Washington to Texas with my 83 F250 6.9 IDI. I broke down in Hermiston OR. Went to get fuel, batteries were dead so jumped it and drove it to the auto parts store. Replaced the alternator, went to start it and turned over then everything died. Smoke coming from the passenger fender area. Replaced the starting cylenoid, the electrical regulator box. Still nothing. No electrical power anywhere other than the batteries (had them tested, +) and the starting cylenoid. That’s all I got

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you check the actual connectors to the batteries? You can't tell anything, and they will be corroded inside the connector.

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All I can say then, is wiggle the crap out of everything. There's a burnt wire, or a bad ground somewhere.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do your headlights work? If they do, what happens to them if you leave them on and try to start it?

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here are some diagrams for a 1985 diesel. They should be very close to your truck.

Attachments

• 1985-etm-page23.jpg
    1985-etm-page23.jpg
    148 KB · Views: 4
  • 1985-etm-page24.jpg
    1985-etm-page24.jpg
    165.9 KB · Views: 4

hacked89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like you have a short and/or popped one of the fusible links which are in the passenger fender area. Tell me more and pictures as needed and I can help you more.

hacked89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can walk you through what you would need to hack together to get it running and driving again, let me know what you want to do.

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
He's got another thread about this truck that he mentioned that this happened on just before he started this thread. And he said he cut out all the fusable links and put in butt connectors after this started.
Sounds like you have a short and/or popped one of the fusible links which are in the passenger fender area. Tell me more and pictures as needed and I can help you more.

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Alright, I gave him a week.
No hard feelings towards @Roehre008 , but it's time to land this thing.
So the way I'm seeing this is kinda like a "Twilight Zone" and M. Knight Shaloman movie, feel free to chime in. I'm just going to give you the gist of it and you can do the details.

Ending #1
So @Roehre008 is at this gas station messing under the hood of his truck, posting on oil burners, scratching his head, and up pulls a '84 Bronco. It looks brown with darker brown accents, but as the camera scopes it out it unveils that it's really rust, like rust on rust barely hanging together. But it's never been in an accident so the lines are straight and it sounds amazing! Dual cherry bombs off a really sweetly tuned 302 and as our stranger shuts it down he hits the throttle one time for that classic Ford "waaa-POW"( raise your hand if you love an ole' waaa-POW!) So out steps a 6'3" guy that could be Jase Robertson's Stunt double (that's me actually, really) and walks over and looks at @Roehre008 truck and diddles with this and that kinda chats a bit, etc. The whole time the camera has only done close shots of @Roehre008 and his truck little snips of this and that, from the conversation it's assumed that it's a Ford but nothing seems to add up, there's always another electrical issue, it gets almost maddening, a blown fuse, bad fuseable link, no power past the solinoid, bad ground here then there, it all checks out, the battery is dead, alternator is charging great if you want 25 volts, regulator gone crazy.
Now while our stranger and @Roehre008 are accessing all these unusual electrical problems, the camera has subtilty shown that the ground under the rusty bronco is dry, while under the engine of @Roehre008 truck a puddle has slowly been growing.
And just before the puddle of oil, ATF, power steering fluid etc. touches our unnamed strangers boot he says, "buddy, there might not be any hope for it." He gets back into his rusty bronco, touches the key, at which it fires right up and with a "waaa-POW" rides off into the sunset......as the camera pans back to @Roehre008 and you realize the whole time........it was a Dodge!