Ebpv

lukecline

Reaction score
I finally had time to gut my ebpv tonight and I cant believe i didnt do this sooner. I gained 5-6 psi wot in od and also the turbo seems to spool quicker. Egt's dropped, unsure how much i was busy watching boost guage go up. Are my results normal? Also when im on the throttle and suddenly let out of it i hear a faint woooooooo sound that i didnt hear before from the turbo. This is louder and longer when im in the throttle hard and let out of it. Any ideas as of what the heck this is?

Thanks, Luke

kwazyca

HALF A BUBBLE OFF?
Reaction score
It sounds like you are hearing your turbo barking. Pretty normal for WOT shifting or lifting your foot quickly at WOT.

I gutted mine at the same time I put on my BB turbo so I can't answer the boost increase :sorry:

Tom

kwazyca

HALF A BUBBLE OFF?
Reaction score
It all depends on who you want to believe. There have been a ton of discussions on this subject.

My humble opinion.................It probably ain't real good......but......I can't stay out of the throttle ;)

Tom

mjstef

Big Sky Country....
Reaction score
Always thought i would like to do that but i couldn't part with the exhaust brake and i have heard warmup is very very slow without it.......

Dieselmaster

Diesel addict
Reaction score
mjstef said:
Always thought i would like to do that but i couldn't part with the exhaust brake and i have heard warmup is very very slow without it.......

If I lived up in big sky country I don't think I would do it either...

But since the coldest it ever gets here is maybe 30 every now and again.... and the average being somewhere around 50-60, I don't think I will ever need it again..

Luke, I don't recall a big gain in boost... but then again I was already pushing 25-30psi before gutting it... the biggest thing I noticed is that with the chip set on 100hp and pulling a trailer that I didn't get nearly as hot as I used to... I used to be able to hit 1300° very easy and had to back out or drop down to a lower HP setting. Now pulling my 25ft TT I can stay on 100hp...

As to the woooo sound.... I have no idea.. My truck doesn't make it... but then again I have an early 99..

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Luke,

What were you pushing for boost levels prior to gutting? Picking up 5 psi seems like a bunch!.

I know at least one guy here in town that has done it DM, I dont think it has hurt the warm up time. Im not sure how the SD's are, but on our older rigs the EBPV was prone to close at pretty much any time. Alot of guys just unhook the arm and wire it open to prevent this. But gutting it of course gains the benefits of faster spool up and lower EGT's.

lukecline

Reaction score
I was seeing 25 at most (up pipe donuts currently leaking also), it was like i had a wastegate on the turbo, no matter what it wouldnt go higher. While towing today i saw a max of 33 psi in my extreme setting, also on this setting i got a flutter sound from the turbo at anything over 20 psi. Any ideas on the flutter? Any other setting of the chip the flutter wouldnt occur. This morning it was in the mid 30's and truck warmed up in about the normal time, maybe a little longer. Im really hating the wooooo sound almost everytime i let out of the throttle aswell, is this my turbo barking? What is occuring when a turbo barks ? BTW egt's were awesome, i was grossing 18k lbs and crusin at 80 mph on flat or slight incline egts were around 800- 850*, I couldnt believe it! I pushed it as hard as i could with the chip in extreme going up the hills and i couldnt heat it up over 1150*!

later,
Luke

Last edited: