easyiest way to replace return lines ?

d41

Reaction score
I have ordered a return line kit and hopefully will be replacing them this week end, So is it easyier to replace piece by piece in truck or I think I have read to remove one complete side at a time and assemble it on a bench then install on truck, If doing the later is there much room for play lenghtwise when installing back on truck if one one hose was cut a little short or ?
Also gonna replace the fuel filter with a one piece filter ,any body have luck , opinions on these ?
Thanks
Bill

deanj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The best way is to remove each bank as an assembly, make the new one up on the bench and then replace. Make sure you undo all the injector lines and then move just enough to remove the 'top hats', do not bend if you can help it. Us a lube on the "O" rings ( I use some petrolium jelly ). The cross over line is a pain.

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The best way is to remove each bank as an assembly, make the new one up on the bench and then replace. Make sure you undo all the injector lines and then move just enough to remove the 'top hats', do not bend if you can help it. Us a lube on the "O" rings ( I use some petrolium jelly ). The cross over line is a pain.

|stupid That's exactly how I did mine. couldn't have said it better.;Sweet

Exekiel69

Reaction score
Make sure You have enough return line hose, some times they send for a certain model year not turbo in case Your truck is turboed. I use vaseline on every injector O ring then put the caps on place and snap them on with a deep socket after that I start cutting the return line sections (don't trow away the old one in case You don't remember) with the clamps on them. This way takes a bit longer but You make sure the injector caps are well sited.

snatchal

Reaction score
I can't add much to the good advice above about the return lines. As for the one piece filter, that is what i have been using...like it a lot better. I do keep a spare in the truck because I may not always be able to find one if out on the road.

f-two-fiddy

Reaction score
Also, remove the metal line clamps. It'll give you some more wiggle room. Just make sure you replace them when your done.

d41

Reaction score
Re

Thanks,
So if I for some reason don't get enough return line or screw up and cut somthing wrong is this just regular fuel hose ? I could pick up at NAPA ,
Bill

snatchal

Reaction score
Thanks,
So if I for some reason don't get enough return line or screw up and cut somthing wrong is this just regular fuel hose ? I could pick up at NAPA ,
Bill
I cut one of mine a little too short and needed extra line. Picked up a couple extra feet of diesel rated at advanced auto. Ain't cheap.

Mr_Roboto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The problem with the one piece filter is they are not a commonly stocked item. You can get the stock filter at any auto parts store. So if you want to use the 1 piece, keep your stock filter bowl in the truck.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You might review the fuel injection servicing article in the tech articles section for some ideas.

d41

Reaction score
Re

Hey Thanks everyone,
I read the tech article last nite and that is where I got confused / thinking I thought I read somwhere to remove one side of return line and assemble on bench, what I read out of the tech file is replacing on the truck.
Thanks again to all the good folks out there for bringing & giving knowledge to folks like me.
Bill,
Any oil burners out here on the central coast of Ca. ?

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You can do it either way. The 7.3 caps are more forgiving when assembling on the bench than the 6.9 ones are. Some people find the application of the caps to the injectors difficult. They have to go on with a fairly distinctive POP, and can require a good amount of force (enough to make your thumb sore) to seat. More often than not, with hoses attached, it messes with the angle and ease of feeling this seating action. If your a first timer, I would recommend doing the lines on the engine rather than the bench.