e99 fan clutch R&R?

EMD_DRIVER

Say what?!?!
Reaction score
Towing the fiver on Friday, my idiot temp gauge made it all the way up into the red zone and the fan never engaged.. Once I let the truck idle down, it would kick in and work to cool the engine. If my engine RPM was up, the clutch wouldn't engage at all. Luckily, today was cooler and we made it home. I need to get another clutch and am looking on brand preference and if I need the fan clutch wrench set... Thanks in advance!

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey Gary, first off Congrats on your recent hitchup to that good lookin Gal.

The fan clutch won't kick in until the temp reaches ~240*, the 99's IIRC are a right hand thread, not the left hand, the shroud has the info moulded in it. If the thermo spring has oil (silicone oil) on it then it is more than likely shot, it could be just dirty, and that will keep it from operating correctly. You say it kicked in when idleing, the air thru the rad must have reached that temp slowing down the air flow. Is your rad and or AC condenser dirty, lots of bugs. My 99 is a late one, you show e99, is that early? Might still be left hand threads.

EMD_DRIVER

Say what?!?!
Reaction score
Hey Gary, first off Congrats on your recent hitchup to that good lookin Gal.

The fan clutch won't kick in until the temp reaches ~240*, the 99's IIRC are a right hand thread, not the left hand, the shroud has the info moulded in it. If the thermo spring has oil (silicone oil) on it then it is more than likely shot, it could be just dirty, and that will keep it from operating correctly. You say it kicked in when idleing, the air thru the rad must have reached that temp slowing down the air flow. Is your rad and or AC condenser dirty, lots of bugs. My 99 is a late one, you show e99, is that early? Might still be left hand threads.

Mine is an early 99 and has the reverse threads on it... I couldn't see any oil and it is no more dirty than usual... I do have a huge tranny cooler in front of it though.. The cooler is mounted just behind the grill and at the top.. I wonder if it may be blocking just enough air, to keep the clutch from sensing the heat. It could also be just the 14 year old clutch has gone... I may go ahead and replace it and if it still doesn't work, I'll have to find somewhere to relocate the cooler to... With the size of the cooler though, my options are extremely limited!

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did you just add the trans cooler? Is this the first trip with the 5er? Are you pulling in OD?
Your trans temp is going to be pretty close to rad temp. The trans temp won't raise the rad temp. Your cooling lines from the trans should be running thru the rad then thru the aux cooler.
I hear there are a few hills in WV, at least they were there when I came across to Charleston a few years ago on I-77 from the South.:D

Last edited:

EMD_DRIVER

Say what?!?!
Reaction score
Did you just add the trans cooler? Is this the first trip with the 5er? Are you pulling in OD?
Your trans temp is going to be pretty close to rad temp. The trans temp won't raise the rad temp. Your cooling lines from the trans should be running thru the rad then thru the aux cooler.
I hear there are a few hills in WV, at least they were there when I came across to Charleston a few years ago on I-77 from the South.:D

The e99's didn't have the oil-water cooler in them. Only an oil-air... This was the third towing trip with the new setup... I've been told that the clutch is getting old and tired... Kinda like me...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online