E4OD to a ZF5 in a 1993 F-250

Biggz

Reaction score
Okay I am over the automatic situation. I have a non-turbo 1991 IDI w/ a zf5 trans. My good truck is a 1993 F-250 ATS Turbo IDI with a E4OD. Now I know motors are the same. What all do I need for the swap, I have the whole donor truck, so far I have accumulated the trans, t-case, driveshafts, crossmember, clutch and flywheel, and pedal assembly from the 1991. Will I need anything else for the swap. What about the pedals will they work okay. Is there any computers or anything else I will need for the swap. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Also is it as bad to swap as I hear it is.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Probably not too bad if you are an experienced enough home mechanic to be considering such a big project and have the complete manual parts truck. Without a doubt you need the ZF trans, clutch, flywheel, and hydraulics. You should also spend the few bucks for a new throw out bearing and many of us including myself love the South Bend Clutch kevlar pilot bushing which replaces the old style pilot bearing. Are both trucks the same wheel base length? If so you should be able to just swap over driveshafts. At this point it gets complicated, many would say you should start with a fresh clutch kit, and then there goes the debate between a SMF and the factory DMF versus the Lucky Mod DMF and beyond that Cheaper Jeeper even found a way to graft a 6.9 style SMF to a ZF5. Lots of options and ways to spend your money. I think my biggest concern would be will the pedal assy from the 91 swap over to the 93 or not. These were slightly different body styles and some of the changes affected the placement of the pedals etc it is when Ford finally solved the dracked firewall defect that had plagued many of us with older manuals. You need to check that out and as well you may want to swap over the manual column to make things look professional. The dash swap is optional, I mean who really cares? We're talking a lot of work with that one. Also grab the transmission tunnel cover floor pan from the donor truck and deep 6 the E4OD computer, you won't be needing it unless you are swapping the auto back into the donor truck to sell.

topgunn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
.My wife and I ( mostly my wife) swaped out the E40D to ZF5 last year. No special problems. The only out side work was the drive shaft( donor was not same) We have a Crew Cab. We swapped pedal assembly from same year, we had earlier assy from donor(89) did not work. Got one a wrecking yard. Try to find one out of a diesel as I had to modify bracket for vacumn unit on pedal. I went with SMF from Napa( only because son was working there, DISCOUNT)

ToughOldFord

The Cold Glow-Plug
Reaction score
.My wife and I ( mostly my wife) swaped out the E40D to ZF5 last year. No special problems. The only out side work was the drive shaft( donor was not same) We have a Crew Cab. We swapped pedal assembly from same year, we had earlier assy from donor(89) did not work. Got one a wrecking yard. Try to find one out of a diesel as I had to modify bracket for vacumn unit on pedal. I went with SMF from Napa( only because son was working there, DISCOUNT)

You must be registered for see images attach

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
something to be said about watching a woman work!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JU57US

Members online

No members online now.