E4od tc keeps unlocking in 4th gear

idi_Marty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It will unlock and after awhile, re lock, flat ground steady throttle n steady speed, no load. Why?

1994 Crew Cab F-350, 7.3L idi Turbo Diesel, 4x4, auto, DRW, Tollesboro, Ky

idi_Marty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll check that, I was driving and out of nowhere, it just decided to unlock, 2 miles later it suddenly just came back, I tried turning o/d off and back on, slowing down and speeding back up, nothing worked until it decided to just re lock, it did that twice in roughly 20miles.

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
one of the most,if not the most common cause for code 62 to set (converter unlocking in OD) is faulty/dirty pins at the solenoid pack plug.
mine wouldn't go away.i finally bit the bullet and replaced the plug (they make replacements as it's a common fail item.search: e40d repair harness.-get correct year.)
and the solenoid pack.the s pack,though i cleaned it with e-cleaner several times,i discovered was just too far gone once i removed it.the pins where all green and nasty.i would have had to spend hours trying to shine them up,and who knows how far down the pins it went below the plug.20 yrs old on each end.i had enough and replaced both.........the end of that foolishness now.

edit,
yeah thats a good idea to check the BOO switch first though,as that's 30 seconds and even easier.

Attachments

• E4ODShiftSolenoidPackPlug.jpg
    E4ODShiftSolenoidPackPlug.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:

idi_Marty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I love this truck, but geez one ghost appears after another since I bought it, I finally get the ip and injectors replaced, new return lines, rebuilt the turbo, and now I have the tc unlocking at random and discovered it has recently decided to start leaking massive amounts of oil somwhere in the vicinity of the turbo bottom side, not to mention I get a tick from the front of the driver valve cover, which I hope is nothing more than a weak lifter and not a vale guide. When I get this truck sorted out it will probably be a new 94 f-350 lmbo.

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
oh yeah,its constant when working with 20 yr young trucks lol.fun though..............most of the time.:D

idi_Marty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah I have truelly enjoyed learning about it, and the conversations on here I have had, but the leak is my handy work, now to just find which part didn't seal well.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grizzly Wrecker