E4OD issues - is the trans all that bad or is it the computer tuning, or both?

kas83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been looking for a 4 or 5 speed truck, but can't find many. My current truck has a 4R100, which I understand is basically an updated E4OD with a different name. I haven't had any issues whatsoever towing heavy, sled pulling and other 'abuse' as most consider it.

So what's the root cause of failure/issues when it comes to E4ODs?

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

kas83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With many of the trucks I find, they have rebuilt transmissions. Do most rebuilds include updated/upgraded stuff to correct early flaws?

I have full intentions of putting a billet low stall converter in any auto I might buy, unless it already has one. I've driven a few truck with one and the difference is night and day. I'm just curious if I find a recent rebuild, would the thing last? I'll do a converter and maybe shift kit, but can't swing a full rebuild.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
yes.if you find a reman e40d today,it is highly likely it meets at least 1995 specs.in '95 there were a crap load of upgrades done.you can also keep your eyes open for a 95-97 psd e40d as well.do use one of those,you would simply need to used the 89-94 solino9ind pack and the 89-94 (4 bolt) torque converter.
yeah,iv got the custom extra low stall in the f250.and it took all the off the line "flare" right away when i load that old girl up.she just starts rolling when you give her the juice no matter how heavy she gets now.

additional;
after 97 ford renamed the trans.it's still the e40d.they named it 4r100.more upgrades yet.these held up very well to the 3rd gen 7.3l (2nd gen psd.) im talking several hundred thousands behind them powerful engines.
you can score on these and bolt the 4r100 behind your idi too.with the two older style parts mentioned above with two more older style parts swapped out as well; swap out the front pump to the 95-97 pump and change out the shift lever mechanism so your e40d trucks shift linkage connects.then you'll have one sensor extra on the trans (ignore it.)
^ thats in theory.so far im not sure of anyone trying it.
if log trucks e40d goes before im done with the truck,ill try it.hopefully thats years from now though lol knock on wood.

additional again.your thread title reminded me.
for the control unit.get it from a 9th gen idi truck (92-94.) the one you want is part# F4TF-12B565-AA - that'll control it flawlessly.;Really

Last edited:

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
Because a tranny is rebuilt it might not have been upgraded. Those super cheap rebuilds you find on evilbay and some cheap transmission shops, will recycle most of the old crap with some new seals and frictions. They will call it rebuilt, but its just a patched up ****.:eek:

The only way to truly tell if you have all the upgrades is to use a reputable shop. A good builder will tell you what they toss into the case.:D

Adding a shift kit and converter to a known good tranny will help it in the long run. If the tranny were to fail after doing this, it was going to die anyways. Shoddy rebuild.

idi_econoline

No Bed For Me!
Reaction score
Because a tranny is rebuilt it might not have been upgraded. Those super cheap rebuilds you find on evilbay and some cheap transmission shops, will recycle most of the old crap with some new seals and frictions. They will call it rebuilt, but its just a patched up ****.:eek:

The only way to truly tell if you have all the upgrades is to use a reputable shop.

As you know, trackspeeder, I've learned that the hard way in recent weeks. Previous rebuild commissioned by previous owner was crap. Old snap ring, aluminum planetary, cheap converter. My rebuild finished today, and the reputable shop I'm dealing with has been open to questions and concerns, after they ask: "Where did you hear about that?"

BTW, my answer to them is: "Online friends who have these old Ford diesels, and work on their own transmissions." LOL ;Sweet

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
As you know, trackspeeder, I've learned that the hard way in recent weeks. Previous rebuild commissioned by previous owner was crap. Old snap ring, aluminum planetary, cheap converter. My rebuild finished today, and the reputable shop I'm dealing with has been open to questions and concerns, after they ask: "Where did you hear about that?"

BTW, my answer to them is: "Online friends who have these old Ford diesels, and work on their own transmissions." LOL ;Sweet

Good shops will always answer your questions. Most will show you the crap they take, and the good stuff they put in.

finitetime

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well how about this. I've had my truck for just over a year and had 3 transmissions in it.

1st died 3mo after purchase.

2nd died 9mo after i had it rebuilt. The mechanic I used took it to a guy who left the local transmission shop and started rebuilding them out of his garage. Didn't know this until I went back. He did show me the pan full of metal and tell me all he would do it pull it out and take it to a transmission shop because he didn't build transmissions. I guess everybody made out on that one but me. Transmission guy moved and couldn't be found. To the mechanics credit he did pull out the old one and install the 3rd one I bought and had shipped there for free.

3rd one paid I paid quit a bit more for it than you would at auto zone but I called around and explained to everybody that I wanted a transmission that would hold up to my 7200lbs truck pulling a 1900lbs trailer with a 6000lbs skid steer on it every week with unlimited mileage warranty for 3 years. All but one politely said they couldn't do that and wished me luck. Warranty went out last year trans is still good and strong.

Electrical issues have plagued me the whole time. Wish I had a stick.