E40D Update: Very bad experience with Ford

warmblood58

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So after nearly a year of a non op e350 van ('94 e350 idi) I have my van towed to St. Helena Ford where it sits for three weeks. The lazy ass service manager, who did not bother to take notes from me regarding what happened when trans died was clueless and demonstrated this when I stopped by to find out status of diagnostic. Ford has remaned updated e40d transmissions for 1900 uninstalled which have a three year unlimited mileage warranty . . . I thought that this was great as Ford stealerships are everywhere so if I had a problem, another 1,000.00 to install. So I swing by and he said, "Oh, so there you are - your trans is shot, there is burnt clutch material in the sump, your fluid is burned and there is no pump pressure, and burnt clutch material on the dip stick as well". Unknown to Ford, when I first experienced this problem, I had van towed to a friend's shop- he is a master tech vw/subaru mechanic but cuts gears for tractors, works on all cars and trucks - does it all. He and I verify that filter was dirty, old fluid was not burned -in fact, it looked good - I dropped sump after draining and find no catastrophic bits in the pan, just usual stuff at the pan magnet. I completely clean sump and overfull slightly with NEW atf and install new gasket and filter . . . . still no movement so van sits this way for months and then gets towed to St. Helena Ford. So I say to the service idiot, "interesting, because there is nothing but new atf in that pan, and torque converter was not drained but atf is not circulating so can you explain to me how new fluid smells burnt and full of clutch material?" He stammers and then says I can talk to the tech who is actually a good trans buider from those I know. I explain the same to him who then upon being asked two questions by me, blows up and walks away and say "I have no time for this" I say, "that's ok pal, I am just the ******* customer who was going to spend three thousand dollars with you guys but not now as apparently you guys decided upfront to just sell me a remaned trans vs a good diagnostic" I then left the shop and tracked down the owner/gm and relayed all to him . . . . He listened calmly and validated my concerns and waived the 7/10's of an hour charge.

The above is why I prefer to do my own work and had I been a woman or less knowledgeable, they would have ripped me off. When the service manager said, "your pump is shot", I said "so how would dirty TC atf (I did not drain TC)blend with all that fresh atf in sump?" He just stared at me with that busted look in his eyes ... so, back to square one again. Not so sure I even want to deal with a Ford product/personnel at this point and E40d transmissions seem like they are more trouble than they are worth - my rant is over, thanks! Another tech at an indi shop believes that it is a bad TC as he has rarely seen a pump go on these diesel transmissions -

Danielle

No, it's not finished
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We have a lot of tow ins with similar stories. Another shop/dealer makes the assumption that there is no profit in the job, so puts no time into it. Gives either a vague or ridiculously high priced diagnosis after usually not even looking at the vehicle.

As a dealer tech for a long time, what probably happened is the techs saw the year/model, and decided they wouldn't make time on it (since bolts may be rusty, job would take longer than book time etc etc), so no one would do it. And the writer, who is paid based on shop hours, saw/assumed same thing and never forced a tech to work on it.

So when you showed up they gave a textbook answer, hoping to make that 0.7hr for literally doing nothing, since they mistakenly assumed you wouldn't have it repaired. Their loss!!

idiabuse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All day long! I do all my own work, this is why. You should see when I argue with myself in the mirror!

Javier

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
So if the trans is a factory warranteed trans why are you letting them get away with screwing you. Call customer service and get someone fired up. I couldn't care less if some dealer can't make bank on their own stuff and trying to cheat you by lieing about whats wrong.. Well get me some tar and feathers.. I'm going visiting...

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
i don't think the current trans in his van is a ford reman with a warranty. i think he was saying that he had the option of going with a ford reman.......

160k87F250

not rocket science
Reaction score
Your thread title should say "Very bad experience with St. Helana Ford" Not all Ford dealers are bad.

vegas39

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's not just the automotive industry thats gone to hell, its darn near anyone that offers services. I prefer to do ALL my own work, whether it be automotive or home repairs.
I do a little residential a/c installing and repair and find that many of the a/c companies we have here are downright crooked! Same goes for a lot of auto repair shops, cant seem to trust anyone anymore unless they are personal friends.

I gave up on one of our local Ford stealerships here for the same bs as mentioned above, it's all about making money for them and screw the customer. Anymore, customer service is darned near non existent.

idi_econoline

No Bed For Me!
Reaction score
Sad to hear that this kind of stuff not only happened at a Ford dealer, but a small-town one! I'm pleased to say that my van has only been to a dealer once (in 4 years), and that was for the cruise-control-brake-switch recall. Of course, my van doesn't have the switch. :D

Let me know if you ever decide to drop that tranny yourself, warmblood. Have trans jack, will travel. :sly

Silver Burner

Burnin' Oil&Rubber
Reaction score
That sucks. Generally, an E4OD is a solid transmission IF you keep it cool. Don't give up on these old beasts. They're better than a Chevy van! lol!

warmblood58

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You misunderstood - my trans is oem and I had van there for a possible replacement with a Ford remaned unit following a thorough diagnosis - these guys are clowns

warmblood58

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Might have an indie fix it . . . . full circle, no trust in dealerships at this point, and glad I do most of my own work. NOT motivated to drop it myself without a shop lift, etc. and I want it warrantied so that if I am thousands of miles away, I am not stuck -

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Might have an indie fix it . . . . full circle, no trust in dealerships at this point, and glad I do most of my own work. NOT motivated to drop it myself without a shop lift, etc. and I want it warrantied so that if I am thousands of miles away, I am not stuck -
if you are in need of a no- ******** nationwide warranty with your trans, you might want to look into a "Transtar" product with one of their three levels of warranties. I'm a licensed dealer for them. They're pricey but not as ridiculous as AAMCO. click on the linky..... http://www.transtar1.com/units.asp
Also, there's another member about 15 mins south of you in Napa who knows a independant rebuilder in town with E4DOA experience. problem there is the warranty is good within the proximity of his location. drop me a PM if you want to explore the Transtar option.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tyler9828