E40D question. Internal Parts swap from gas engine E40D?

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
awesome! so your narrowed it right down nicely.so you pretty much know you have a faulty wire between the tach sensor and the ecm.now to find it lmao.
might be just easier to run new lines as far as you can.the first guess though would be right there up on the engine due to vibrating over the years.
she's going right into N on you,but the key is the tach signal dropping out at the same time.so now you know where the issue is and great process of elimination narrowing it down to the wiring.

oh yeah,you'd have a whole different problem if the ecm wasn't getting power.focus on feeding the ecm a clean tach signal and your got 'er.;Sweet

got someone to wach the tach while you jiggle the tach sensor wires around? might just get lucky and find it right at idle and splice in a fresh wire and done.

thehollywoodjoe

Reaction score
Will be tearing into the wiring loom tomorrow bright and early. From what I'm reading on this and the ford-trucks forums, it seems like it's pretty common to find a chaffed/corroded wire along the way somewhere. For anyone else finding themselves in this situation, here's the wiring diagram I found on ebsco:

You must be registered for see images attach

thehollywoodjoe

Reaction score
From FTE Forums:

Regarding MLPS:

Wrong Gear Starts

Bad or mis-adjusted MLPS
Can cause wrong gear starts, no upshift, falls out of gear, and high line pressure = harsh upshift and engagements. May or may not set code 67/634 (MLPS out of position).

Note
MLPS is located on driver's side of transmission case.

MLPS adjustment
Place manual lever in Neutral. Line up I.D mark on sensor with l.D. mark on plastic bushing. Tighten bolts.

To check MLPS

1. Hook red lead of DVOM to pin # 199 (MLP sensor signal).
2. Hook black lead of meter to pin 359 (sensor signal return).
3. Set meter to ohms.
4. Move manual lever through the different positions and compare DVOM reading to chart below.

Manuel lever position
Meter should read:
P 3769 to 4608 ohms
R 1304 to 1593 ohms
N 660 to 807 ohms
D .... 361 to 442 ohms
2 190 to 232 ohms
I 80 to 95 ohms

Important
If the MLPS needs replacement, use Ford part # E5TZ-7A247-A. This kit includes a new style harness connector. You must replace the connector to use the new MLPS. By sliding the old wire separator from the original connector up the harness you can leave it in place as you install the new connector. This helps to keep the wires in their original location.

Note
Make sure you clean the harness connector with brake clean and apply some dielectric grease to the pins. This will ensure a good connection. Use Permatex part # 67V (dielectric tune-up grease). You can get it at most auto parts stores.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent

Members online