E40d altering?

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ya im not sure on how he made his work. i dont ever mind the limp mode shifting. it goes thru all gears, shifts when its supposed to, and puts line pressure to max. sounds like it would make it a lot harder to burn up clutches this way?
If you want the lockup feature off it can be achieved with just replacing the on/off switch with an On-Off-On double row switch, and also adding one regular 5-post relay between the big DPDT relay and the converter lockup warning LED - if you want I can redo his wiring diagram to include those.

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It would be harder burn clutches. But it beats the hell out of the gear train.
Good point! However, my question still stands - once in limp mode, what takes the tranny out of it - does it run periodic self-test and drop limp mode if all is good, or it just stays in limp mode till you reset it with a code-scanner tool?

sootman73

Reaction score
well i've already done the lockup mod with the double pole switch. i like it a lot. it doesn't seem to go into limp mode unless it gets to overdrive with out the TC locking up. did it today. if you make sure to remember to lock it its fine.(at least in mine)

zigg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good point! However, my question still stands - once in limp mode, what takes the tranny out of it - does it run periodic self-test and drop limp mode if all is good, or it just stays in limp mode till you reset it with a code-scanner tool?

Only way to get it out of limp mode is to disconnect both batteries for a few minutes and the computer resets. It's a real pain in the butt to have to do all the time. If you have a banks transcommand, it might be overriding the Limp program, but in mine, when it is in limp, it BANGS the shifts, and not in a nice way. Can't drive it like that.

well i've already done the lockup mod with the double pole switch. i like it a lot. it doesn't seem to go into limp mode unless it gets to overdrive with out the TC locking up. did it today. if you make sure to remember to lock it its fine.(at least in mine)

In my case, that's exactly what I want to happen. In town, in the "off" position, I want the trans to shift 1,2,3,4 without lockup to engage untill I decide to flip the manual mode.

I guess there are lots of variations in trannies and computers. Mine will go fine for a few days, and then start flashing without warning. Seems to do it in auto mode, or manual mode, but always when I have had the lockup switch to the "off" position for a day or more. This past week, I just left it in the "auto" position, and whenever I wanted it, flipped the manual switch to override it, and so far so good. Worked great!

I had a look at that wiring diagram, and essentially that looks like what I thought I'd have to do to "fool" the computer. I'm just not sure about the value of the resister there, or what the resistance of the Lockup solenoid is and how they compare. Once I figure that out, I'll build something, then I think that should do it.

Zigg :)

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry if I missed it somewhere, but can you post your wiring diagram with the double-pole switch?

zigg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here's what I got now. I'm going to wire in a light or resistor on the computer side of the switch that will be powered by a separate 12v and then get it's ground when the computer tries to lockup the converter, and I'm hoping that the computer will "see the light" and be fooled into thinking the lockup has happened. It may not be as simple as that, but we'll see.

Attachments

• switches.jpg
    switches.jpg
    16 KB · Views: 5

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score

Correct the problem. Then reset the puter. You can disconnect the batteries or use a scan tool.

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here's what I got now. I'm going to wire in a light or resistor on the computer side of the switch that will be powered by a separate 12v and then get it's ground when the computer tries to lockup the converter, and I'm hoping that the computer will "see the light" and be fooled into thinking the lockup has happened. It may not be as simple as that, but we'll see.

Zigg, why don't you do the setup that other guy has done, this way you only need one switch and nothing cant get messed up. Also, I've seen your wiring, I want to see Sootman's now, so I can compare...

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Correct the problem. Then reset the puter. You can disconnect the batteries or use a scan tool.

I actually don't have no issues now, I was just wondering if I can live with a limp-mode tranny and if it will correct itself eventually - apparently no, on both accounts.

zigg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Zigg, why don't you do the setup that other guy has done, this way you only need one switch and nothing cant get messed up. Also, I've seen your wiring, I want to see Sootman's now, so I can compare...

I've actually got 2 switches. The first is an "on-off-on" DPDT. This way I can be Auto on one side(for the Mrs and kids to drive) then off when I want(in town) and then manual at the flip of a switch.

You can do it with one switch, and it works. But, I like the second switch. It makes it so that you have to specifically put it into "manual" mode. Prevents stray kids feet/knees from knocking it in when not wanted(idling in the driveway or in reverse or something). The second switch is over by the turn signal where only the driver can turn it on/off.

Just me being a control freak...

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Andy, from all I've read tis a purple wire with a yellow tracer, now where is the best place to cut it I dunno...

sootman73

Reaction score
ill try to take a picture of where i tapped into the wire. i did it between two harnesses. it might take me a day to get it though.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online