duramax info please

apextrans

What Log Book????
Reaction score
Hey,

I came across an 07 3500 LT dually with 32K on it that I'm interested in. Few questions since I know little about the Duramax.

1. Is the 07 still the LBZ motor?

2. What is the warrenty on the chevy motors?

3. The exhaust has been done turbo to bed (because it had stacks). I would remove the y for the stacks & run regular exhaust to the rear. The cat is not there. Is this a warrenty issue?

4. what is EFI live?

What is the general opinion on these trucks?

Thanks

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The LBZ was offered in the 07's as was the LMM which debuted in 07.5. So it depends if this is an early 07 or a late 07. The engines were pretty much identical though with the LMM having a few more ponies (like 5). The LMM has the much loved DPF attached to it to make EPA happy.

I believe the engine is covered for 5/100K still.

EFI live is Chevys version of reading DTC's and tuning the ECM.

My dad purchased a year end (08) Duramax about three months ago, got rid of his 99 Cummins and is NOT HAPPY with the 6.6 at all.

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey,

I came across an 07 3500 LT dually with 32K on it that I'm interested in. Few questions since I know little about the Duramax.

1. Is the 07 still the LBZ motor?

2. What is the warrenty on the chevy motors?

3. The exhaust has been done turbo to bed (because it had stacks). I would remove the y for the stacks & run regular exhaust to the rear. The cat is not there. Is this a warrenty issue?

4. what is EFI live?

What is the general opinion on these trucks?

Thanks

1. 2007 should be LBZ, if it's 2007.5 it's LMM
  2. It's an Izusu engine IIRC it's 5 yr 100k miles
  3. :dunno
  4. Tuner
Chevy is second most popular truck for those that work them over the road hauling RVs and cars. Fuel economy is comparable to the Cummins too, some do a little better, some don't. Dodge is first with about 70%, GM about 25%, Fords share gets smaller and smaller and has put many owners out of business. Management where I work will even discourage a driver from buying a 6.0 because of the problems the've had.

If I couldn't get another Dodge I'd buy a GM before I buy a newer Ford right now. If I bought a newer Ford, I'd buy a gasser and drop a Cummins in it before it even hit the road.

pafixitman

Reaction score
Granted I have never driven a PSD, 6.0 or a 6.4....riden in a 5.9 Dodge but I have driven a C4500 motor home with the Duramax and Allison. -Drool

I have to sorta agree with Tonka. If I had the cash, it would be a Duramax and Allison. Matter of fact a local lot has a 2006 C4500 crew cab chassis. It would be sooooo sweet with a hauler bed!

apextrans

What Log Book????
Reaction score
Well, I drove it home tonite (not because I bought it yet) so I can run it over to the local Chevy store in the AM. I love the way it rides but I had a 2500hd gasser before I went to fords & that was my favorite truck.

I thought it had a tranny issue with the tow/haul button but it is working fine. The price is pretty much auction sale price plus some fees the dealer incurs through the process. It does need 6 tires & the exhaust but even twith doing those replacements I'm still ahead of the game based on what I see on autotrader & ebay. As long as the sale of the 250 goes thru & I get a clean report from the dealership I think it's gonna be mine.

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
Scott, I think you'll like it. My buddy is on his 3rd. He hunts out west and pulls a HUGE camper and his have served him well, great mileage and there is not much stock around here that will run with any of the three he's had. He bought an 08 early this year and already has like 30k on it with no issues. It is seeing serious mileage now with hunting season out west (where he hunts) is full swing, he's on his third trip to Montana with his camper and 6 wheel Polaris in tow.

apextrans

What Log Book????
Reaction score
That's good to hear. I've always liked the ride of these trucks but because I was into suspension lifts I tended to stay away from them once I got rid of the IDI. But I watched my wife have to hike up her skirt all day :love:;Really:shocked::Thumbs Up( maybe I should keep the PSD) while running around on Xmas day just to get in the SD ( I hate running boards) & the kids practically fall down to the ground on the rare occassion that I take them to school, so something a little more civil is in order. I guess I & the family has had enough of the rough front leaf spring ride. The step tubes look nice & are un-obtrusive (sp.?) & even after putting on the leveling keys, it will be lower than the SD with a factory ride quality.

The SD pulls the RV like it isn't even there (after alot of mods) but being a SWR it does get a little squirrely at times. The extra rear wheels will be nice to firm things up. My wife doesn't need medication or anything to take an RV trip, but she doesn't like the swaying or chucking while towing. Chucking is a different issue not related to the truck but.... She seems to like the interior of the Silverado but we debated whether or not a ford has more room behind the front seats. I like to sit back a bit so that could cut down on the room for the kids. Anybody have thoughts on that, the ford or chevy being bigger behind the front seats in a crew cab?

I'd like to think that I would use the truck for work also but right now the motivation to do this is I have a buyer for the PSD despite the replacement motor/actual mileage on the OD problem & the price seems better than in line for this area. Also, the price on the Chevy is below average for this area as well. Lastly, as the kids get older we plan to do more RV trips as opposed to the 5 or 6 trips a year we do now, so I think a long bed dually is the right move even if it never pulls a car trailer.

Hopefully it won't need air bags to keep it level with the RV hooked up but I do wish it had the integrated brake controller like the fords do. I'll have to see if the buyer for my truck wants the brake controller. I hate to lose my Prodigy. If he offers less after talking to his bank, I'll suggest I remove the bags & controller for that money difference, then I'll only need a Reese rail kit to be ready for RV season again.

Anybody know what size the brake rotors are on these trucks? It needs tires all the way around & I have a thing for aluminum wheels but I have no intensions of putting 22.5's on it. I'm asking about rotors because if I wanted to go larger for better braking, I don't want to buy wheels that will restrict the size rotors I could potentially fit. I was thinking between 17" & 19.5" Alcoa's or similar. Anybody have some thoughts on wheel & tire combos. I don't want a strictly street tire but not an offroad tire either. Longevity is the key. I was thinking Dura Grappler or the like.

I can't sleep after so many screwed up nites in the carhauler & my sleep patterns are all messed up, so I'm babbling on about all this but it really is all dependent on what the dealership finds & says later today..... We'll see;Really

Last edited:

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can't sleep after so many screwed up nites in the carhauler & my sleep patterns are all messed up, so I'm babbling on about all this but it really is all dependent on what the dealership finds & says later today..... We'll see;Really
scott-
you should know better than to think you can ever sleep normally again.:rotflmao:rotflmao
I haven't known what a restfull night was in many years.cookoo
best I can eek out is two hour naps all night long.-cuss-cuss-cuss

Papabear

Papabear
Reaction score
the only thing woth the duramax is that they need to be babied: super ultar clean fuel, don't like the cold for startups, really expensive to get anything doen on them i can get 2 whole new sets of injecyors for my IDI for the cost of one duramax injector.

apextrans

What Log Book????
Reaction score
I haven't seen the plug for the heater yet but this thing fires up faster than my 7.3 after a seriously cold night. I haven't taken the pluge yet but am pretty sure I'm gonna. What kind of mileage are these getting? Empty, Loaded, city & highway. Most towing will be a 10,000 lb fiver. Skid loader or tractor on a goose neck once in a blue moon, & my 71 bronco on a trailer if I ever get going on it again.

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My dad is getting 13-14 unloaded on the highway with his.

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ouch. I would've expected at least high teens. Does it vary much when loaded?
Not sure Scott, I dont think hes really had a load behind it (he's to the point if it is below zero outside that he wont drive it anymore) and Im not sure how much longer he is going to have it. Hes really unhappy with it and I have a feeling he is going to get rid of it.

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My dad is getting 13-14 unloaded on the highway with his.

Sumthins wrong with his truck or driving habits..... like driving 80 - 90 mph out west. He should be able to get that dragging a mid profile fifth wheel down the highway cruising 60 - 65.

If the transporters were getting that bad of fuel mileage, they'ld go out of business fast.

TLBREWER

Windy B Ranch
Reaction score
I do a lot of 2 lane highways in New Mexico. If I just set the cruise at 65 and I'm not in a hurry, I've pulled down 23 MPG unloaded before. That's bone stock too. I talked to guy the other day with a NBS '07. He had done a LOT to it. Dual turbo's, programming, etc, etc, but he claimed 27MPG at 75MPH. I don't know of anybody that get's less than 20mpg on the highway unloaded with the DMax.

Tom

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7

Members online