DT swap?

93_444idi

first on race day
Reaction score
What would be involved in swapping an idi out for a DT 360? I know hesutton is doing a 466 swap so it can be done. I would think since both are mechanical it wouldn't be too tough of a swap. Would a zf5 bolt on? Then I guess custom engine mounts would be needed? Just curious if anyone knows what would be required to do it. I think that would be cooler (and maybe cheaper?) than putting a 12 valve in. Would the frame need to be strengthened? It is a heavy engine, 1200lbs dry I think.

Last edited:

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is a project that I can't wait to see someone do. I'd like the option of going I6 diesel but keeping it in the IH family. There's a lot more I don't know than there is that I do, but I do know that the DT360 uses a standard SAE#3 or #2 bellhousing. The non Ford IH IDI and PSD engines also use an SAE bellhousing (2 or 3 help me out here) but most of the more experienced members seem to think that more than this would be required to bolt a DT to a Ford Diesel transmission. Someone is selling Ford Diesel to DT adapters but they're supposedly expensive. If you were good enough of a home machinist with a nice enough set of tools you could potentially make your own or if not take it to a real machinist and invest a few hours of his labor into it. You mentioned Hesutton's project, so of course now he has a lot of DT contacts and I'm sure he'd share that with you if time permits. If the 360 is only 1200-ish pounds dressed it's really not that much more than a Cummins or an IDI or PSD. I would really enjoy the chance to swap one of these in a Ford myself but I also want to drive the wheels off the current setup and see how long it lasts and perhaps build a decent 6.9 engine and see what I could get. I probably need a project truck in my (moderately close) future. I'd m\be more inclined to try one if someone else here does it and succeeds.

6.9poweredscout

Bleeds IH red...
Reaction score
I'm very interested in DT466 swaps...I'm planning on getting a 4 door IH pickup and stuffing in a 466....if it'll work in a 250 it'll work in a 1310....

-Jon

BrandonMag

Dana 50 rebuilder
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you head over to Pirate 4X4 and search around, I'd bet you'll find a build that you can get some pointers from.

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
een though they got issues id like to see a dt530 swap :eek:.them things got some sack if you can get them to start

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
From what I've read/seen/been told, it is not much different than a 6BT Cummins swap. Several guys are in the process of doing a DT360 repower.

CLICK HERE

AND CLICK HERE

The second link is a post by pipewhiner. He has a machine shop that has made adtaptors to bolt a stock Ford transmission to the back of DT series engines as well as a few other goodies.

There is not any mass produced "kits" like those available at fordcummins.com, but it has been done several times. There are tons of HP parts for these DT diesels. Any tractor pulling shop will have stuff for the DT360.

Heath

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Forgot to mention this earlier...... Call Gene's Machine Shop and talk to Brent Payne (owner now..... Gene has passed away). He's helped a few customers put DT360's in Fords before. He may have a lead on adaptors and what's needed.

I'd opt to use something other than a standard Ford tranny. I'd look for a good used medium duty transmission (manual not auto) for the back of that DT. Most DT's have an SAE #2 bellhousing. I've bought an Eaton Fuller FS-6306A transmission for $250. It is in great shape. It is a six speed, fully synchronized (that's what FS stands for), direct drive. I will convert it to an overdrive when I have more time and get the crew cab project finished. Much stronger than what you can find in a light duty pickup, and if you are patient, much cheaper in the long run.

Heath

Last edited:

Exekiel69

Reaction score
Someone a FTE did this swap on a new body style ford, maybe it is the same guy Heat mentioned. Wish I knew about it before but I can't complain with what I have I just like the dt360 can be rebuilt easier and cheaper. The swap may not cost You less than a CTD that is not likely but it sure is worth it. You can always find a buss with a 366 and a 5spd OD and NOT need a engine adapter.

93_444idi

first on race day
Reaction score
Man.. I read about half of that second link you posted heath and I'm in love haha I've got a clean 7.3 sitting here and a typ4 cam I was gonna put in with a moose pump and bbs but I think I'll save that money for a 360. It'll be a project, but it looks to be well worth it. Couldn't find a price quote on a zf5 adaptor, depending on that price I dont know if i'd go that route or use a medium duty tranny.

now to find a 93 bus

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Man.. I read about half of that second link you posted heath and I'm in love haha I've got a clean 7.3 sitting here and a typ4 cam I was gonna put in with a moose pump and bbs but I think I'll save that money for a 360. It'll be a project, but it looks to be well worth it. Couldn't find a price quote on a zf5 adaptor, depending on that price I dont know if i'd go that route or use a medium duty tranny.

now to find a 93 bus

Be patient when looking for the DT. You can find them at a good price on eBay and Craigslist and other times, they are outragious. If you can find a bus at a good price with a DT360 and manual transmission, grab it up.

I know what you mean about it being a big project, but it will be a hoot. I'm keeping my crew cab IDI and molesting my F250 for the DT466 swap.

Heath

93_444idi

first on race day
Reaction score
Thanks for the infomation heath. Even using searchtempest I can't find many craigslist results for these things, gonna take some searching.

I have a question about using a medium duty tranny though. If it's off a bus its gonna be a 2wd tranny, if I'm not gonna be making a whole lot of power out of this thing (would just start with stock to begin with) wouldn't it be easier/cheaper to use my 4wd zf5? I'm guessing the 360 is longer than my idi so the crossmember will have to be set back a bit and I'll have to get the adaptor, but that would be all there is to it I'd think. Other than driveshafts obviously.

Eason

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Jon you probably need to consider a 68 or earlier IH truck. The firewall is farther back and the transmission hump is larger. Eason

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the infomation heath. Even using searchtempest I can't find many craigslist results for these things, gonna take some searching.

I have a question about using a medium duty tranny though. If it's off a bus its gonna be a 2wd tranny, if I'm not gonna be making a whole lot of power out of this thing (would just start with stock to begin with) wouldn't it be easier/cheaper to use my 4wd zf5? I'm guessing the 360 is longer than my idi so the crossmember will have to be set back a bit and I'll have to get the adaptor, but that would be all there is to it I'd think. Other than driveshafts obviously.

Very few medium duty vehicles are 4x4. I'm going to use a divorced SCS Transfercase for my build as there is not way a 1345 or 1356 will survive long with the plans I have for my DT466. I've PM'ed pipewhiner about adaptors and prices. I hope I can provide you with an answer for adaptors soon.

The ZF5 will hopefully be strong enough with a mildly modded DT360, but with a torque rating of 420 lb/ft, you'll need a beefier unit and clutch if you mod the DT in the future. Cheaper? Maybe, depending on the adaptor prices. Easier, not really. Any medium duty tranny with a SAE #2 bellhousing will bolt up without a fuss to the DT. A divorced NP205 would be a good t-case if the DT isn't modified too much.

HERE is pipewhiner's DT360 powered Ford.

Heath

97444psd

Reaction score
I priced an adapter and flexplate trough pipewhiner for a dt360 and heres wat i got for a response-900 adapter, 675 flex

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online