Doug Nash OD Installed but...

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jim at US Gear told me that the Dual Range portion of the company is not in operation, so no more OD/UD's. The only ID on the unit is a serial #. Th OD for these is 0.8:1 and UD is 1.25:1

So does this mean the only new OD unit available is from Gear Vendors?

VanBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you get it .... or was it going to break the bank?????

NCheek

Howdy
Reaction score
You know Mel, I didn't think about these, but it is another option for overdrive, but it's only for four speeds or the NV4500, and its the only true underdrive outside of using a brownie. LINKY

After talking to Jim today, he said that due to small design changes over the years (larger bearings resulting in slightly different cases, different gear pitch - 10* in the DN, 16* in the USG, and different input adapters) would make frankensteining two cases together a long shot at best. Hard parts from a DNe2 OD would be the only safe bet for converting my trans, and Jim said the last time he heard of anyone finding new hard parts for a DNe2 was over 15 years ago... He said, "You would have better luck searching for the grail."

Unless I get lucky and found another unit, I might as well save up for a ZF, GV, NV4500, or Ranger.

RedTruck

Reaction score
I haven't seen zigg here for a while, but he had a Ranger in one of his rigs. I did a little research on them. I've heard they are loud. You get a lot of gear noise in the cab, which can't be muffled very well, because the sound gets transfered through the shifter. There are a few of them around. Maybe you can ride along with someone who has one and take a listen for yourself. I was seriously considering it, but decided on a 5831.

Good luck with your project,

Paul

VanBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So now you are stuck with an underdrive tranny.....

NCheek

Howdy
Reaction score
Well, maybe not, If i can round up a Doug Nash OD and swap the guts, I'll be golden...

Got another lead pending, we'll see how it turns out.

460429_freak

Crazy about diesels
Reaction score
don't feel bad I thought mine had the OD in it but had the UD in it so with 4:10 it useless to me because I can pull anything I need in od with the 4.10's did your source at GV say how hard it was to get motors for them mine will come out of UD but not back in so I just leave it out..

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Interesting. Anybody know how the price of a Ranger compares to the GV?

NCheek

Howdy
Reaction score
Ranger runs about $1300 new IIRC...

As far as the motors for the Doug Nash, I think they can be had at Napa. I think they are common with a two speed Eaton axle.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JU57US