DOT laws- hauling heavy

redneckaggie

rebel w/o a cause
Reaction score
RLDSL, as a general rule alfalfa hay (which is more nutritious than the traditional coastal hybrid that you find down here and is actually way cheaper up there than coastal is down here) gets better as you go north. Alfalfa wont hardly grow very well in the south without a bunch of maintenence and because of this it is generally not as nutritious.(more maintenence means higher costs and people want to keep cost low) The other problem with southern grown alfalfa is bugs and one in particular reffered to as a blister beetle can actually cause a horses mouth and digestive tract to blister up and in severe cases can actually cause death.

not to mention this guy in ohio is cuttin us an awesome deal lol

opusd2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We've been selling hay here in NE WI for some time now, both large rounds and squares and I have never had a problem with being on the roads. Then again, I do have a CDL and go right to whatever states site for showing where scales are and I just avoid them. A few miles out of the way makes for a nice ride. Running back empty can be a little mosre straight forward though.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
thats what i was afraid of well i guess its back to the drawing board for this plan.
if you can figure out a proper GN trailer that can maximize the payload within the length and weight constraints, you are under CDL rules.
Here's the recipie....
F350 reg cab, longbed box, dually.
20-25' GN with two axles of 7k cap each, 8lug rims.
std width of 102" wide.
max load height of 10' off the trailer deck.
if you can figure out how many bales you can haul and be cost effective, do the run. If it doesn't pencil out, hire a hauler.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
RLDSL, as a general rule alfalfa hay (which is more nutritious than the traditional coastal hybrid that you find down here and is actually way cheaper up there than coastal is down here) gets better as you go north. Alfalfa wont hardly grow very well in the south without a bunch of maintenence and because of this it is generally not as nutritious.(more maintenence means higher costs and people want to keep cost low) The other problem with southern grown alfalfa is bugs and one in particular reffered to as a blister beetle can actually cause a horses mouth and digestive tract to blister up and in severe cases can actually cause death.

not to mention this guy in ohio is cuttin us an awesome deal lol

If he's cutting a real good deal , chances are with all this rain that's been going through, he;s sitting on a few cuttings already and wants to move it before he starts loosing some of it to mold. All this doesn't help if you cant' get to it though.
Wonder how many round bales I could fit in my enclosed car hauler.... wonder if i could make a few bucks off that.... Hmmmm the gears are turning :D

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
that is what we are worried about rldsl but that is a risk we are willing to take and towcat you have been a great help... thank you so much.

That's the thing, with the kinds of storms that have been steadily rolling through, if the guy doesn't have a good tight bailer or if he at least hasn't had it dry stored , well, you know the rest.

Used to be regular flatbeds didn't like to fool with hay, but with cash as tight as it is these days, you stand a good chance of getting it hauled for a decent rate. There;s not near the amount of steel moving out of that area as there used to that used to keep flats rolling out.

91ford7.3td1in

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We have some of the best hay produced here in new mexico. It has more nutrients in it because of the flood irragation we use. Carlsbad were i live is probably a bit closer than were your wanting to go and i now of some trucking companies that would probably deliver a truck load to you.

opusd2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And we're actually having a good year with the hay. Our alfalfa has been wonderful, and the grasses were chosen well. Since we're taking a year off of milking on the farm because of such unholy LOW milk prices. So, after filling our haymows and barns, we've been able to make some decent coin. And we have one field planted just for horses. Thanks to the unbelievable number of horses owned these days, there's a market for us.

Honestly, I just don't get the horse thing. I consider myself a cowboy because I actually deal with cows, it's just my bike is my iron "horse". And maybe the ancient Yamaha Tri-Moto I keep just to **** my dad off (because he thinks four wheelers are the only way to go) and to chase animals in. Then there's the dragging of the deer I get every year... Maybe a 4Wheeler would be handier, but then I wouldn't be able to justify my 73 Ford 4x4 built for the farm; too much power for what we do.

Travis91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
have you tried perennial peanut hay? its not like the peanut hay they feed cattle its considered the alfalfa of the south. we think its just as good if not better then alfalfa and we used to get bales of alfalfa from Colorado

sassyrel

Reaction score
Also IFTA might be an issue. I run under farm plates but have to file IFTA because I run over 30 miles into the state of IA. BTW if your running interstate get off and drive around the scale house, It'll save ya a lot of grief.

and damn well hope you dont get caught. somehow--they were doing this to get around the south scale, north of cr,ia. they nailed a bunch one day. funny part is-they ticketed them for avoiding the scale, and never weighed them???? never can fig the dot. but that MOSTLY stopped it around that area :rotflmao:rotflmao

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
Around my parts, you may NOT exceed the maximum GVWR....ever. However, some truck/trailer combinations will allow you to out class your licenese. If you have a truck (say a 3/4 ton) and a trailer (registered for over 4500 kgs) you have just exceeded your license. You need something called a condition 15 or a tag endorsement to pull that trailer, whether it is empty or not.

Also, if your vehicle is registered for over 3000 kgs, you are required to stop at the scales at all times. This means that my pickup which is registered for a total of 14000 kgs (truck and trailer) is supposed to stop at the scales everytime. This is pure BS because I don't know of a DOT officer that will pull you into the scales around here for running past them empty in a personal truck and trailer. Commerical is another story though.

Avoid the scales with your personal truck whenever possible. Truckers know the rules and are usually not bothered if everything looks ok with the truck and load. However, personal trucks are picked on around here. Usually weekend guys that haul junk cars for scrap will run with one strap OVER the car or a chain through the windows holding the car to the trailer. This makes the DOT think that all private guys don't know what they are doing and will check them more often.

If you don't exceed your GVWR and drive like you have sense in your head, it shouldn't be a problem. I run the dump truck overweight all the time, sometimes 2-3 tons over maximum gross when I do not cross the scales. If I drive sensibly, usually below the limit and with all the lights on, they don't even turn to look twice. If I speed or shoot my mouth off over the CB it will certainly attrat attention though.