DOT laws- hauling heavy

redneckaggie

rebel w/o a cause
Reaction score
My family owns an agricultural operation and since the drought around here we cannot seem to find enough hay to feed. We got to looking and can get good alfalfa hay in ohio but the problem is hauling it. we all own 3/4 ton trucks(two goats and my idi). We were thinkin of making hauls back and forth but we dont want to be over wieght on that long of a haul and risk a ticket. I know laws are a little different for agricultural uses and if you are doing it for yourself rather than for hire. So the question is can anyone post a link to the weight laws so that we can figure out what all we need to accomplish this.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You made me curious, so I looked for my own state. I found this page. http://www.pahighways.com/truckinfo.html

It looks like you could haul 38,000 pounds with a 2 axle truck. :eek: I challenge you to put 19 tons of hay in your bed. LOL

Of course, I think you get to a point where a cop looks at your rig and thinks... that does not look safe. I think that is where the real issue is. I don't think you can break the law by overloading your vehicle, but you can get cited for operating in a reckless manner that may include what the cop percieves as being overweight. Of course if you get in an accident, then things probably get more complicated. But in theory, I could hook Lady Moose to the camper, fill the camper with steel scrap, and as long as the walls don't blow out, nobody would know that I have 20,000 pounds in it. :dunno I'd weigh 36,000 pounds if I did that. Tires and springs might give it away though, and of course now I'm using 4 axles. ;Really

FiredudeL4

Reaction score
Not sure if this would be an option for you, but have you looked into just haveing it trucked (semi-loads) in? if there are others around you that are in the same boat you mite be able to make a deal on numerous loads, I can get you the name and number of a friend who is a big hay farmer / broker he mite be able to do somethng for you and we just outside of El Paso Tx. Good luck

Roy

Feed Bunk

Cow hand
Reaction score
Im with roy on this one. Freight is slow right now so you should be able to get a truck hired reasonable. Depending on what you guys have for trailers one truck might get more hay in one load than three pickups put together. Not trying to be bossy, just something to look at.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
hayhaulers have some of the slimmest margin operations known to man.
check with them first.
I will get back to you shortly on the DOT rules.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have flown under the radar with the DOT for years and kept me away from their gunsights.
Most people here are class "C" non-commercial license holders. Those of you who hold commercial class "A", these rules do not apply to you.
1) no matter how liberal or stringent the state is, you may not exceed the GVW or CGVW on your truck.
2) Being non-commercial, you may not haul more than 26k CGVW.
3) In most states, you may not exceed 40' combined total length.
4) None of this applies to a vehicle registered as a RV.
5) Within the state of Texas, you can do damn near anything as long as what you're driving and towing can pass a safety inspection.:eek:

hope this helps.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
What Towcat said, about the 26k. That is your official limit without a CDL. If the vehicles are registered as Farm trucks, chances are they are exempt from the standard weight restrictions, Each state is different, but most have a lot of leeway on farm vehicles, but the driver still is not.

redneckaggie

rebel w/o a cause
Reaction score
see i just called the registration dept and they told me that as long as the truck alone was not over its weight rating and the trailer alone was not over its weight rating then the vehicles would be ok, and if i had my cdl then all would be well.

Feed Bunk

Cow hand
Reaction score
Also IFTA might be an issue. I run under farm plates but have to file IFTA because I run over 30 miles into the state of IA. BTW if your running interstate get off and drive around the scale house, It'll save ya a lot of grief.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
awesome info but towcat i have a question i have been told that non commercial farm laws are different is this true
I can't tell you what TX farm plated will allow you to do but outside of TX, it's meaningless. You are far better running under the radar as joe regular person on a trip to the north. If you have something that looks "unusual" you will get attention from the wrong people.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Have an old fishing buddy that was in the hay business, he's not home right now, but I'll ask him. Will post later about that. I know he used to haul to Texas by the semi load. Lot's of hay around here in Ohio.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
I'm just wondering why you can't find any a bit closer. I know with the CONSTANT rain we've been having right here in Arkansas, I would think you could find some a lot closer. Even if you had to pay a bit more per ton, you'd save a fortune in what it would cost you to go fetch it

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Whether you're hauling for hire or not has no bearing on the CDL requirements. FMCSA defines a Commercial Motor Vehicle (CMV) Commercial motor vehicle means any self-propelled or towed motor vehicle used on a highway in interstate commerce to transport passengers or property when the vehicle:
(1) Has a gross vehicle weight rating or gross combination weight rating, or gross vehicle weight or gross combination weight, of 4,536 kg (10,001 pounds) or more, whichever is greater; or

(2) Is designed or used to transport more than 8 passengers (including the driver) for compensation; or

(3) Is designed or used to transport more than 15 passengers, including the driver, and is not used to transport passengers for compensation; or

(4) Is used in transporting material found by the Secretary of Transportation to be hazardous under 49 U.S.C. 5103 and transported in a quantity requiring placarding under regulations prescribed by the Secretary under 49 CFR, subtitle B, chapter I, subchapter C.

Drivers have been required to have a CDL in order to drive a CMV since April 1, 1992.

The Federal Highway Administration (FHWA) has developed and issued standards for testing and licensing CMV drivers. Among other things, the standards require States to issue CDLs to their CMV drivers only after the driver passes knowledge and skills tests administered by the State related to the type of vehicle to be operated. Drivers need CDLs if they are in interstate, intrastate, or foreign commerce and drive a vehicle that meets one of the following definitions of a CMV:

Classes of License:
The Federal standard requires States to issue a CDL to drivers according to the following license classifications:
Class A -- Any combination of vehicles with a GVWR of 26,001 or more pounds provided the GVWR of the vehicle(s) being towed is in excess of 10,000 pounds.
Class B -- Any single vehicle with a GVWR of 26,001 or more pounds, or any such vehicle towing a vehicle not in excess of 10,000 pounds GVWR.
Class C -- Any single vehicle, or combination of vehicles, that does not meet the definition of Class A or Class B, but is either designed to transport 16 or more passengers, including the driver, or is placarded for hazardous materials.

ARIZONA CDL REQUIREMENTS:
A CDL is a commercial driver's license. Like a normal license for passenger vehicles, commercial licenses are issued by the Arizona Department of Transportation's Motor Vehicles Division (MVD). The following vehicles require you to have a CDL in order to operate them:

If you will drive a combination vehicle (truck and trailer) whose trailer has a gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) of 10,001 pounds or more and whose total weight with the truck is 26,001 pounds or more, you will need a Class A CDL.
If you will drive a vehicle whose GVWR is 26,001 pounds or more, you will need a Class B CDL. With this license, you can also tow a trailer whose weight does not exceed 10,000 pounds.
If you will transport hazardous materials or more than 15 people (including the driver) in a vehicle whose GVWR is 26,000 pounds or less, you will need a Class C CDL.

The CDL test must be taken in a vehicle or combination of vehicles representative of the ones you'll operate. Yes, you can take your CDL road test in your combination.

Unfortunately, even though you were hauling your own product, you would still be considered to be operating in interstate commerce and operating a CMV.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online