Door lock question.

nu2this

Reaction score
I hope I'm posting this in the correct forum. If not please direct me.

The door handle and the thumb button have become inoperative in my 1988 F-250. Neither one will open the door. I noticed this when I attemted to unlock the door with the key. The thingy that sticks up on the top of the window frame (where you rest your arm when the window is down) fell off and something fell down inside the door as I was trying to unlock it. Now the door is shut and won't open.

I want to remove the door panel but can't figure out how to do it. I looked at the passenger side door in the opened position and can see a screw in the upper corner next to the wing window. When the door is closed, this screw is covered by the dash, preventing it's removal. Unfortuately the drivers door, which is locked, is closed. The next problem is how to remove window opener handle, I don't see any screw that holds it on. Do I just pull it off?

If anyone has ever pulled the door panel from a 1988 F-250, can you help me?

Thanks for any replies.

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
From what I understand, the door lock linkage has fallen underneath the door panel?

There is a screw down in the arm rest pocket as well. From there the remaining fasteners will be down along the bottom edge of the door panel.

The screw for the handle is underneath the crank cover. Take a flat blade screw driver and pry the outer edge up and it will expose the screw.

That should give you enough moving room to lift up the door panel to get the lock button linkage freed up as the panel is binding up the linkage that will keep holding the door shut.
Get the linkage back up in the hole of the door panel and if it doesn't have some type of button or knob on it, put one on there to avoid the linkage from dropping back below the door panel.;Sweet

If that makes sense.

nu2this

Reaction score
WOW!!

Thank you for the rapid reply Dsl_Dog_Catcher. I will try that and hopefully it will work.

Thanks again-Ken

nu2this

Reaction score
Hi again,

Your suggestion was crystal clear and your directions worked to a fault. The door is now working like a champ and I have you to thank!!!!

Thanks again,
Ken

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
Hi again,

Your suggestion was crystal clear and your directions worked to a fault. The door is now working like a champ and I have you to thank!!!!

Thanks again,
Ken

Good deal Ken!:thumbsup:

Welcome to OB!